Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
marts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm   

Future work CMUD cc zMUD ?

Would it be fair to say that zmud and cmud will be feature mirrors, and that if one has a nicely working zmud system, that the reason to purchase would be primarily a faster system, with a few extra features.

or

zMUD will slowly fade into the background, and CMUD will be the main product getting features added ?

I am somewhat disappointed that there is no discount (25% even) for existing zmud purchasers, and infact, I bought both zmapper and zmud...

Marts
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:26 pm   

CMud is the new product and it will receive new features and upgrades. Currently many of the features are mirrored because of backwards compatibility.
ZMud is being fazed out and will receive possibly bug fixes but no new features are planned.
Zmapper will be updated to work with the new Cmud Mapper I don't know for sure what that means for the Zmud mapper. I think Zugg mentioned it at some point but I forget.
ZMud will no longer be ported/supported to new operating systems. So on Vista for example ZMud is not officially supported, even though you can make it run.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 pm   

And there was indeed a discount for people who already owned zMUD. Don't think it still applies, but more than one email went out detailing the offer.

If you now buy zMUD, you get CMUD free and I believe that's a long-term offer.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:13 pm   

Arminas and Fang pretty well covered it, but just to get the official word from me:

1) zMUD development is frozen. No future updates to zMUD are planned. The 7.21 version of zMUD will continue to be supported on Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows via the web forums and via email. zMUD is not supported on Windows Vista.

2) CMUD will continue to gain more and more new features. CMUD is expected to be actively developed for many many more years to come. CMUD is supported on Windows XP and Windows Vista (and any other new version of Windows released during the active product life).

3) The zMUD version of zMapper is frozen. zMapper currently also works for CMUD. When the CMUD mapper database is changed later this year, a new version of zMapper (probably called cMapper) will be developed and released. Existing zMapper customers will get the new cMapper for free. So then there will be two map editors: zMapper for editing zMUD maps, and cMapper for editing CMUD maps.

4) We emailed all existing customers back in October 2006 to notify them about the discounts that were available. These discounts were also announced and discussed extensively in the forums on this web site (in both the zMUD and CMUD areas), and were also announced on the Zuggsoft home page. These discounts lasted two months and expired at the beginning of December 2006. Sorry you didn't get the news, but we did the best we could to get the word out.
marts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:15 pm   

Thanks for the clarification, the reason that I didn't get the emails, was my own fault, I let my email service expire (DOH)

So, if I buy cMUD, then I will be able to use my existing zMapper, and then I should automatically get the cMapper without purchase (as I already own zmapper) ?

That sounds cool, I think I will give the new program a try this week.

I have enjoyed using zmud over the years, and your lifetime policy is somewhat unique, and very much appreciated. Keep up the great work.

Regards
Marts

FYI Very Happy
SneezyMUD rocks
sneezy.saw.net:7900
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 pm   

The free-for-life policy is no longer in service. It's now set up to operate on a 2-year renewal system, as follows:

Version number: X.yy

1)major version upgrade -- if X is different than the X of your current version then:
a)if within two year paid period, upgrade to X.yy = free
b)if outside of two year paid period, upgrade to X.yy = current buy price divided by 2

2)minor version upgrade -- if X is not different than the X of your current version then upgrading to X.yy is always free, regardless of the status of your two year paid period
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:57 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
And there was indeed a discount for people who already owned zMUD. Don't think it still applies, but more than one email went out detailing the offer.

If you now buy zMUD, you get CMUD free and I believe that's a long-term offer.

Ya there was a discount for the people who already owned Zmud as long as you paid attention to the forums here. For the rest of us with a life we were screwed and never got in on the offer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 am   

Quote:
Ya there was a discount for the people who already owned Zmud as long as you paid attention to the forums here. For the rest of us with a life we were screwed and never got in on the offer.

I did not pay much mind to the forums before I picked up Cmud. In fact, it was one of the Emails that Zugg sent out to Zmud customers that brought the discount to my attention.

~Arwin Hochhauser

Last edited by tomcat025 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 am   

No, the email went out to everyone who owned a copy of zMUD via their account at the zMUD store. I've only become active on the forums since I got that email, not the other way around.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
palio
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:01 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
No, the email went out to everyone who owned a copy of zMUD via their account at the zMUD store. I've only become active on the forums since I got that email, not the other way around.

Well I never got it. -shrug- I get so much spam email that it is impossible for me to find something like that. A better way would have been some kind of upgrade offer through the zmud program itself when it was used in addition to the email.
I have never heard of an upgrade that does not give people a reasonable amount of time to do it, like this one, from what I understand expected people to buy the upgrade before the cmud was even out. Once it came out the fact that you are a loyal zmud user, not someone who was using a hacked copy of the program meant nothing.

I guess it really dont matter Zmud works just find on vista which is all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:35 am   

I have 2 email addresses for spam and 2 "private" email addresses that I give only to friends. It just so happens that one of these addresses was given to Zuggsoft.

~Arwin Hochhauser
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:51 pm   

As I recall, the offer was valid until a few months after either the initial release or the public release was made available. It went on for at least 6 months. Also, I think Zugg included a reminder feature in ZMud that mentioned CMud being available.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 am   

And CMUD was announced in these forums nearly 18 months before the first "public" release, which itself was over 6 months after the first beta release (which, like all of them, was a public beta open to anyone). So, palio, if you didn't know about CMUD until now, well then you weren't really very interested in the development of your MUD client (or you'd have been checking out zuggsoft.com from time to time).
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:28 am   

Quote:
I have never heard of an upgrade that does not give people a reasonable amount of time to do it, like this one, from what I understand expected people to buy the upgrade before the cmud was even out. Once it came out the fact that you are a loyal zmud user, not someone who was using a hacked copy of the program meant nothing.

cMud is NOT an upgrade of zMud it is a completely separate program. It was announced for more then a year, also Zugg paid lots o cheese to send out mass mailings for it. Unfortunately nothing will ever hit 100% of everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: