Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

cantimatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:28 am   

Store account emailer broken

Hi, I have a problem. I'm trying to log into the store to retrieve a license key. Unfortunately, I've forgotten my password. So, I click to have my password emailed to me. And wait. And wait. And wait. Several days and several clicks later, I still have not received any email from zuggsoft. I reported this through the Contact Me, and still have not received any response. What's going on? Is zuggsoft unable to send email to yahoo accounts now? Did the entire staff go on vacation and the automated password recovery emails now must be manually sent? This is a more public forum than I'd like to use to air my grievance, but it appears that my private complaints are going unheard. If a member of staff would like to send out my password recovery email, my account is under the email "cantide [at] yahoo [dot] com".

Thanks. I'm sure there's a logical reason why this hasn't been working, but it's frustrating to see no visible change over several days with no visibly active measures being done to correct the problem.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 am   

Yahoo is known for having a strict spam policy. Make sure the emails haven't been binned. If that fails, email support@zuggsoft.com about it and they'll get back to you with the info they need to restore your account.

You say "the entire staff" - Zugg's wife normally does this kind of support and she's recovering from major surgery (read the blog). Zugg himself is having to pick up the slack, which means response times will be slower than normal.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
cantimatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:58 am   

Ah, well. I didn't realize what the circumstances were. Yahoo definitly isn't spam-binning the emails, so Zugg must just be behind. That's understandable (I assumed the operation was larger than it apparently is!).
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:02 am   

I'm certain that those emails are automatic. If it's not being sent, it's a problem on your end since I can recover my password just fine. If there's nothing you can do to fix it, emailing support is the next step.

MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:27 am   

The password recovery sends to the address that's stored in the Store database, right? Could be it's not the one he expects it to be, so the email is simply going to a different address.

As far as anything coming out of the store goes, Cantimatt, has this address received mail from zuggsoft.com's store before (license key, friendly reminders about the upcoming CMud, notice of the first public version, etc)? If not, I'm almost willing to bet your email is simply sent wrong.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:41 am   

You have to type the email it's being sent to into the box to recover the password. I don't think that's the problem.

cantimatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:16 am   

To answer all of your questions:
a) The store login *is* my yahoo email account -- it doesn't allow you to specify an email to send the reminder to
b) I have received emails to that account in the past [password reminders, license keys, etc]
c) I have sent mail to support, though I'm guessing it's also backed up due to circumstances.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:31 am   

I just checked out the pages for the store and they all look rather like they have for the past bunch of years. A link to the correct page for password recovery is:
https://www.zuggsoft.com/store/help.php?section=Password_Recovery
Please enter whatever email was used in the registration where prompted, and it definitely had a very noticeable prompt box on my display.
cantimatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:10 pm   

Yes, you're right, I'm wrong (the problem with writing something from memory). My point was that in this particular case, my account name == my email address, so there's no possible way that I could accidentally input the WRONG email address, or for that matter, an INVALID email address (if you put an email address in that is not in the database, you get a fail message). I just get a message saying that an email "was sent" to my email address (however, it does not seem to have occurred).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:28 pm   

The emails sent from the store are completely automated. If you have hit the limit on the number of times the email can be sent, it will tell you that. So if it says that the email has been successfully sent, then it's been sent.

Yahoo is notorious for deleting these kind of automated emails. I suggest you email us an alternative email address for us to change your store account to. Or, check to see if Yahoo has some sort of "white list" and add sales@zuggsoft.com to that list to ensure that you receive the email.

It all depends upon how strict your spam filters are set and what Yahoo is doing. Since these automated emails *are* being sent from a PHP script, then they tend to look like other automated spam. However, we put a big effort into reducing the spam scores of these emails several months ago. For popular anti-spam systems such as SpamAssassin and Barracuda we have made sure that the email won't ever get blocked. But Yahoo does their own stuff and has always been the biggest problem in this area. I personally canceled my own Yahoo account because it was removing too much real email, and there wasn't any way to determine that it was deleting stuff except for when people would specifically send something that I didn't get.

But nothing has changed on our server, and other customers are still getting their emails just fine. So there isn't much I can do on this end except to change your email address on our server.

And yes, our email response time is much slower for the next couple of weeks because of Chiara's surgery, so thanks in advance for your patience.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:29 pm   

I have a Yahoo mail account and I don't think any e-mail from Zuggsoft Store or Zugg has ever gone into my spam folder... (and I've never lost one either)

But you could add add sales@zuggsoft.com to your contacts - that might help, and you could add a filter rule too.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:04 pm   

cantimatt sent me a message saying that somehow zuggsoft.com had made it onto his blocked list. He fixed that and now all is fine. So there isn't anything wrong with the mailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: