Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:17 am   

Windows problem..

Okay, hope I don't sound like an idiot while explaining this.. I'm not the best with terminology, heh.

So, I have my main window loaded, and above it two tabbed windows. One for tells and the other for grouptalk.

Everything works fine, like, if I close cMUD and reopen.. everything's in the right location.

Now, if I load another character it loads above all of these, on it's own window.

I can drag it to be tabbed with my character's window (still beneath the tells/grouptalk), and that works fine..

But, as soon as I close cMUD and open my main character (which everything works fine), and then load my 2nd character.. it loses it's previous location.

Anyway to have this stored?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 am   

It's intentional because if the layout was saved with the second character's windows, it would expect those windows next time you opened the first character. If they're not there, you're buggered.

In 1.25, you can click "Save Session As" on the file menu once you have the windows where you want them to stay and it'll create a new session icon with its own layout for both characters.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:41 am   

Okay, another problem.. (haven't tried the save session as yet though...)

On my two upper windows, it keeps changing the option "no network connection" to "use main session network connection."

As well, it adds the statusbar / command line..

So when I load my main character's window, and those two upper windows appear.. they try connecting to the mud's address on the main window..

Did that make sense, how I worded it and all..
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:28 am   

Sounds like you might have corrupted session layout files from a previous version. When you open the session, hold down the Shift key when you click the Offline option. That will load it offline without loading the layout. Now go into the settings for each window and set the network options the way you want them. Dock the windows the way you want them. Then exit CMUD to allow it to save a new layout file for that session.

Do *not* load any other session. As soon as you load more than one session, the automatic routines for saving the session are disabled. So just load one session at a time to get it to recreate the layout files.

If you still have trouble, then you'll need to post exact details about what packages you are loading and how you have your session windows defined. But it sounds a lot like your sessions were messed up by the previous version and that you need to start fresh with v1.25.

Also, be sure you are using v1.25. The 1.24 version had lots of problems with multiple windows and none of this will work in 1.24.
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 am   

Well, what about this.

What if I want two sessions loaded..

Say something like this:

http://dorkcity.org/upload/files/1/example.gif

The bottom tabs, Entei / Jared.. would both be separate sessions of course.

Now, I know I can move around windows and set it up like that everytime I load both session.. but I can't seem to store placement between the two sessions, and don't know if it's possible at all.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:26 am   

Zugg only means you shouldn't load more than one session while you're recreating your layout files. Once they've been recreated and are working okay, you can open them both at the same time.

Once they're both open and layed out how you want, chose "Save Session As" from the file menu - this will create a new session icon whose layout file will be the layout you've just created. Both sessions will be opened when you use that session icon. If you want to use one session on its own, close the dual-session session and open the individual session.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:58 am   

So on that note... take a mud like RoD for example..

You're always using different combinations of characters based on the mob..

Sometimes 3 thieves.. 2 warrios and a cleric.. 6 characters to gold with. Using the "save session" option, I'd have to save 15-30 different styles. :P

This is the only way to do what I'm asking about, right Zugg?

Note: Oh yah, and when I attempt saving a session, an error occurs anyways. :P
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:35 pm   

Neuro: No, that's not necessarily true. You would have a separate session icon for each combination that you used a lot that you wanted to save the screen layout for. For example, when connecting 2 warriors and a cleric, maybe you want each window tiled horizontally above each other. But when using 6 characters to get gold with, maybe you want the six characters all in their own tabs. Each of these cases has a different screen layout, so you would want to save each situation to it's own session layout.

If you just want each character to be loaded into it's own tab, then you don't need to save that layout to a special session. Each time you open multiple sessions, the session being opened will be loaded into it's own tab (just like zMUD did). Since that's the default, you don't need to save this layout specially. The only advantage in saving it to it's own session icon is that you could then connect to all characters quickly by loading the saved session.

So it's really just a matter of convenience. You can just load each character as needed from the session menu and reposition the character wherever you want it. Or you can save the layout to it's own session so that you get the proper layout each time without any extra work. In the first case you have a minimal number of session icons, but have more work to arrange the characters each time you play a different setup. In the second case you have more session icons (one for each special setup), but don't have to do any work to arrange them once you connect. It's up to you.

This is a totally flexible system...much more flexible than with zMUD. You just use the Save Session whenever you want to store a particular screen and character layout.

Now, you said:
Quote:
when I attempt saving a session, an error occurs anyways

That doesn't help anyone. You need to tell us exactly what error you got and how your windows and characters were arranged when you got the error. I'm not getting any errors here when I try to save a session. Maybe you have a corrupted layout or package from a previous version. Have you done a clean install of v1.25?
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 pm   

I want each character loaded in it's own tab, but.. I want the window above them all that contains a tab for different type of messages..

Just like in the screen shot, except imagine tabs on the tells window for "group talk, chat, traffic" .. etc.

Now, here is how I get an error box.

Starting from scratch, I create Entei's session. In that, I create a trigger to capture tells.

I send a tell to test it.

Then, I close that session.

Next, I create a new session for my character, Jared. (I've made Jared two ways. Once with a tell trigger for him as well, and once without.. doesn't matter which I do)

I then close that session.

Now I re-log Entei, log Jared. Drag Jared's window so it's sharinga tab with Entei, so they're both under the "tell window."

As soon as I save session I get the error.

Hope this helps.

(Er, also.. how come CMUD installs with those pre-set sessions.. You'd think that could be disabled in the install.)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 pm   

Neuro wrote:
(Er, also.. how come CMUD installs with those pre-set sessions.. You'd think that could be disabled in the install.)

People pay for the privilege. You don't lose anything by them being there, and you can delete them.
Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:34 pm   

This is basically what I'm trying to achieve.. and this is how I want any combination of Realms characters to load..

Neuro
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:38 pm   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
Neuro wrote:

People pay for the privilege. You don't lose anything by them being there, and you can delete them.

Ya know, I wasn't aware that those specific muds were paying Zugg to have that included in the software. If I had known that I would have never asked the question. Thanks for letting me know I'm able to delete them. Cool

Now, back to my situation. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: