Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zwartje
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:20 am   

Odd results when copying settings

I am not sure if this is me doing things wrong or its some kind of bug.
Browsing on these forums there seem to have been a lot going wrong with moving and copying settings around, but all these reports are rather old and probably the issues solved in recent releases.

What am I trying to do?
I made a lot of settings for 1 character i have - They all work perfectly.
Now I started working for another char and thought to re-use some of the settings i have for the first char.
There are probably more elegant ways of doing this, but i am not really thinking in modules and packages yet, nor do I dare use the XML export/import, so i just opened the first package, selected the folder i wanted and copied it to the package of my second character.

First odd thing is that paste doesnt keep the tree structure of the classes. Every single setting, class, alias, everything is placed under the root directory. Bit annoying, but I can organise them manually.
What is much more annoying though is that none of the settings actually work from the command line.
I can execute an alias by right clicking them and 'execute alias' function, but typing the same alias name in the command line doesnt work. Moving them around from root to other folders doesnt help, nor does editing and saving them. Only thing that works is re-creating them from scratch.

Any ideas what is happening here? Am I doing something wrong?
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:54 pm   

No you are not doing anything wrong. These are some of the bugs that you saw reported. My suggestion, there is probably going to be a new release Friday wait for it and cross your fingers!

If you don't like the wait and see approach... Open the folder that has your char package file in windows. Copy the *.pkg file and paste it into the session folder you want to use the old settings in. Rename the file to somethingelse.pkg and point your session to it by editing your session.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:37 pm   

I think some of what you might be experiencing is that CMud doesn't automatically recompile settings that you paste elsewhere. Try forcing a compile by clicking on the Compile tab? Another thing is that it seems you have to just close and reopen your character to get settings to 1)activate and 2)work properly.
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:13 am   

I've had the exact same problem when moving to CMUD as Zwartje has and it is SOOO annoying. If you copy a variable for instance it is ignored completely as if it doesn't exist. I have no idea whether it is still a problem with 1.25 though as a nice bug in this version won't let me play at all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: