Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cuppb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 am   

Keep Alive?

I read in a thread dated Dec 05/Jan 06 about possibly adding a keep alive packet to CMUD so it is able to help keep the connection alive. I recently started playing on a mud and I'm having a hard time staying connected if I walk away for even 5 minutes. So far I have been unable to locate a keep alive option in the settings for CMUD, was I was wondering if it is in there and I haven't found it yet and if it's possibly being considered?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:28 pm   

You can pretty easily set up a script to do this:

#alias afkon {#alarm "AFKAlarm" 120 {look}}
#alias afkoff {#untrig AFKAlarm}

Or you could create a trigger to send something if you recieve a message before you disconnect that'll do the same thing. "#send %char(32)" works well too.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
cuppb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm   

I've got a trigger that spams something in say every minute setup right now because even a 5 minute alarm trigger doesn't work. Relying on a trigger to keep a connection is kind of lame though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:37 pm   

The low-level socket keepalive stuff will be done when the network socket code is replaced with the SSH-capable sockets. SSH should be one of the new features done soon after I do some more bug fixing.
cuppb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:50 am   

It's comforting to hear that it's in the works in the future. I'm a long time zMud user (though I just had to create a new username as I couldn't remember my old one) and I'm taking a peek at the CMUD trial. So far it's been a REAL nightmare getting multiple mud windows open at the same time each with their own command line and actually making a connection rather than just a black screen. Then there's the fun of converting my scripts to some of the new syntax, which isn't too bad though.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:28 am   

If you post describing what you're doing, what's going wrong, and what you'd like it to do, I'm sure someone can help. A few people have had trouble getting multiplaying to work, though I've not heard of this black screen problem before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: