Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 am   

Lots of problems

I am just wondering if other uses have lots of problems with CMUD, all I've done is installed it, and created a user for my MUD, and now when I open the user i get to command line bars and my mouse flickers on and off and I can do nothing except ctr-alt-delete and stop the process. I've deleted the program, and reinstalled, and it happens after I've played the character once, sometimes twice. Then there are times when I get it working, and I want to multi-play, and the Tabs show the wrong ID, they'll just show the ID from the last character I played.

Are these issues common, and if so , is there any release date for these major bug fixes, or will Zugg give me my money back?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:29 pm   

Make sure your video card is set to use "Small fonts" (or 96 dpi fonts). CMUD isn't tested with Large Fonts yet and sometimes if the text is too large for a button the toolbar system can go into an infinite loop of trying to fit the text into the button space. This could cause the flickering problem that you mention.

No, these issues are not common. Thousands of people are using CMUD just fine. There isn't any bug on my current bug list that could cause the behavior that you mentioned (except for the font issue mentioned above), so I don't know of any fixes coming soon that would effect this.

You should also make sure you have the latest driver for your graphics card, and run Windows Update to make sure you have all of the latest patches from Microsoft.

Multiplaying *can* be tricky, although I haven't heard of any problems with the tab getting the wrong ID. You might need to post more specific step-by-step instructions on exactly how you are trying to multiplay so that we can help more with that.

Finally, yes, we have a 30-day refund policy if you can't get it working (although that it normally what the free 30-day trial period is for).
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 pm   

I'll see if I can work it out, I didn't use the free trial because I have used Zmud 4.62 for years and love it. I assumed the new zmud and cmud would have the exact same features but contain newer ones. But with all the problems with cmud, ( and I am using standard dpi at 96 on my pc ) all I do is create a new user, open it up and there is the problem of having two command lines and it finally becomes unresponsive. As for the tabs, all I have to do is create two users, use them once, and from then on every tab contains the name from the second one that I connected with.

And with zMUD the only major I issue I have is that you can't make the tabs be on the bottom like they were in the wonderful 4.62 days. There seems to be an option for that, but it doesn't do anything.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:19 pm   

The option for tabs on the bottom in zMUD only works when you use the Common Command line window and have the tabs there, but the common window doesn't work very well.

In CMUD, give me the exact step-by-step instructions that you are using to "create a new user and open it up". Also, just in case you have a corrupted file from messing around with stuff, do a fresh download of CMUD and delete the previous CMUD directory and reinstall it. It's important to delete the old directory since Uninstalling doesn't delete all of the files. Also, install CMUD into it's own directory, and not any existing zMUD directory.

There are lots of ways to do things in CMUD, so I need the *exact steps*. In other words, tell me exactly what you click on and exactly what you type into each field.
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 pm   

Ok, I totally removed CMUD even delted the directory. The first time it starts up I first remove all the mud connections I don't need, which is all of the deafult ones. I click on new sessions, put in my host and port, and my title is Tempus, I save and close, i then click on new session again and title it Derith with the same host and port, I save and close, I can now open Tempus and connect to the MUD, or open Derith and connect to the MUD, however this issue I have now I've not seen before, I can't open the other one when one of those two is open. If Derith is open, and I click on the session for Tempus, it doens't load it, and vice versa.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:14 am   

When Derith is open, are you selecting Tempus from the Sessions pulldown menu in the toolbar, or are you opening the sessions window again and selecting it from there?

My guess is that both sessions are open, but one of the windows is just hiding behind something. Click on the Window menu and see what windows are listed at the bottom of the list. See if there is a window for Tempus that you can select and display. This should bring to front any hidden session window.

But in general, the multiplaying that you are talking about doing is one of the rough spots of CMUD right now. The problems are with the new window docking system loading multiple layouts (each session has it's own screen layout, and the docking system was only designed to load one layout at a time). These problems will be fixed over the coming months.

If you are always playing multiple characters like that, it's easier in CMUD to just have a single session icon and just create multiple Window objects, each connected to a different character on your MUD. Then you can save the single screen layout as a single "session". In CMUD a "session" is not the same as a "character" in zMUD. CMUD sessions can have multiple characters in multiple windows. The easiest way to do this is to create the first session like you did before (the Derith session), and then once you are logged into that character, go to the Sessions menu on the toolbar, and then select New Connection to see a list of your host/port connections and select the host/port for the MUD. That will open a second window and then you can log into your other character there. There are some problems with auto-login using this method, but you get more control over your screen layout than you do when you try to load 2 sessions each with their own layout.

If the problem with two command linkes and all of the flickering mentioned before are gone, then it sounds like it's working better now. Those were the problems that I had never heard of before that bothered me more.
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 pm   

I will give your idea a shot. I was confused myself on how the layouts work, I don't care if I can't auto login, I could set an alias for that if I'm really lazy. I'll also let you know if the flickering happens again, its possible that it kept happening before because I kept messing up the layouts. I was trying to save each layout seperately, and that could have caused problems.
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:15 pm   

Ok that seems to be working much smoother. I still can't seem to make the tab remember the name of the character, i always need to do the rename option, and my settings do not seem to save, such as always show full menus, and dont auto save the layout. Other than that, I seem to be able to run much smoother.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:23 pm   

Try taking a look at this post of mine - it has a more detailed explanation of what Zugg is suggesting you do.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:38 am   

Zugg,

Is there a way I can use my reg code for the older Zmud 4.62? I'd still like to use it alot of the time but I have no registration code for it.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:49 pm   

If you mean zMUD 3.62, the free version, then you wouldn't have a registration code for it because it doesn't require registration. Even if you have a valid registration code for the latest version of zMUD (7.21a), you still have to pay for CMUD to obtain a new registration code.
miller0521
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:17 pm   

I have a reg code for the new zMUD and the CMUD, however it doesn't work for the version 4.62 zmud. I know 3.62 is free, but I want to stop having the zMUD 4.62 to tell me my trial has expired. For me, since I multiplay, it works much much better than the newer cmud and zmud. so i'd like to use it wihout the hassle.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 pm   

I still think zMUD 7.21 works better than CMUD for multiplaying (I need to get around to pinpointing the windowing/button bugs to post though, so it's my own fault), but I'd be very surprised if 4.62 was better than 7.21 for multiple characters - is it just the tabs at the top thing? I'm so used to using Alt-W, <num> to switch between windows though
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 pm   

No, the newer reg codes do not work with old versions (anything before v7.20) and there is no way to generate reg codes for those old versions, sorry.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:03 pm   

I multi-play semi-regularly with zMUD 7.21, and I have no issues with it at all. Once you setup the layout the way you like, save it as a new layout file and you can open multiple profiles with one icon to make it all appear exactly the way you want it. Works great for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: