Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hyomoto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:30 pm   

My cMUD issues and bugs

Here is a list of problems I've been having with cMUD:

Settings reverting back to previous saved states, even after being manually saved - My libraries want to revert back to some older status even though there is nothing before that. I have gone to manually saving each time I do something and that seems to have helped, but often I will open my library to find settings reverted back to an older state or just completely gone.

Program won't properly minamize - often cMUD wants to be the top window at all times, I can refresh the desktop to make it minamize but it refuses to do it on it's own or allow windows over the top of it, sometimes even the package editor. *cleared with a reinstall*

Triggers won't fire - and there is no test function. Not that all my triggers wont fire, but I will make a new one sometimes and it doesn't fire. Then it dissapears. Then it reappears later on after I've tried to make a new one. I can't really speculate on what's causing it.

Classes issues - the classes don't always work properly, sometimes I will make a new setting under a class and it will dissapear, only to appear at the root level. Then when I move it back to it's class the program recieves and error and wants to close. This isn't consistent, but has happened enough to be mentionable.

#WA doesn't work as part of aliases - whenever I use #WA %random(1,3)*1000 or the like in an alias, it skips the #WA and continues execution when the alias uses #if <whatever> {#wa <time>;alias repeat}

Variables don't update correctly - sometimes my variables don't update, and if I use (*) in a trigger fire it will set the next variable in it's class to it's contents. Even better it only APPENDS the variable, so if I were to use (*) three times in a trigger, it would make the next variable all three sequentially. If there are no other vars in the class, it may not do this.

Status bar is constantly being screwed up - everytime a variable reverts back to it's default, ie when I start a session, they won't display in the status bar until they've been updated, otherwise even though they contain a number it displays blanks where they should be.

COM: alias requires two arguments - is being called on alias commands like 'stop' that have no arguments. But the program is gonna argue with me, so I disable parsing it works, reenable parsing, tada, THEN it works fine again.

Command line docked wrong - Sometimes when I hit 'sessions - new connection window' and it opens, the command line is in the middle of the window(docked), I can fix it by disabling it and reenabling it. But it's still a bug.

Program wants to crash sometimes - I don't know about this time. It just either crashes when my screen turns off(idle) or sometimes just asks me arbitrarily. Not under any particular circumstance, just in general.

Last edited by Hyomoto on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:25 pm   

Welcome to the forums...
Post a separate topic for each in the BETA forum and describe, ideally with some sample code, exactly what the problem is and how to reliably reproduce it.
This is the first public release, Zugg has already said there will be bugs. Some of the 'bugs', like #WAIT for example, may not actually be bugs (I'd imagine that the entire alias is compiled when it's run - try using #ALARM, that'll probably fix things).

I'd love to be ABSOLUTELY SURE WITHOUT A TRACE OF DOUBT, but you've not been ABSOLUTELY CLEAR WITHOUT A TRACE OF DOUBT about many of the things you've posted - it's been more of a rant than anything hugely constructive.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:35 pm   

Quote:

Speculation, assistance, and advice are completely unneccessary and unwanted, I am only interested in hard evidence and facts.

Most of your issues will be fixed by a a complete uninstall followed by a complete reinstall. A complete reinstall means you have to rewrite all your packages from scratch rather than simply copying the old ones back into the new CMud folder. All or some of your packages are corrupted, and more than likely your old copy of CMud was full of old bug artifacts that are now fixed.

I went through similar issues almost all the way up to the public version, simply because I did not uninstall and reinstall each time a new version came out.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:01 pm   

Well that's the problem. I have the same problem as he does with settings reverting back to previously saved states and had to rewrite everything like 5 times as I stated in another thread. I wrote everything in the settings editor and really have no idea how to write it all in xml to import it into a new install. So basically what you are saying is open the settings editor, write everything down by hand that you have created. Then recreate it all completely in a new install? That would take many many hours!
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 pm   

It was mentioned numerous times that during the BETA period of CMUD people shouldn't be relying on having a stable product. I honestly don't have much sympathy for for people that start using things during BETA then complain when they don't work perfectly. I understand it's irritating, but it's also to be expected.
For any non-trivial scripts then I always saved them to notepad or when I lost them (and I did, numerous times through the many bugs in earlier versions) just sighed and wished I'd saved them to notepad that time too.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:08 pm   

Guinn wrote:
It was mentioned numerous times that during the BETA period of CMUD people shouldn't be relying on having a stable product. I honestly don't have much sympathy for for people that start using things during BETA then complain when they don't work perfectly. I understand it's irritating, but it's also to be expected.
For any non-trivial scripts then I always saved them to notepad or when I lost them (and I did, numerous times through the many bugs in earlier versions) just sighed and wished I'd saved them to notepad that time too.

Except this version wasn't Beta, and I wasn't complaining. In my thread I asked if I was doing something wrong to cause the problems. However, I apparently am not the only one having them. Not to mention there certainly must be a better way to go about this? I did do the incremental saves like you, I think it was you, mentioned in the other thread. Such as save as package Test1.pkg, Test2.pkg and so on.

Look I know it is new and there are bugs. However, I don't write code for a living. It's a hobby and gaming is a hobby. I don't want to spend an entire weekend rewriting everything over and over certainly. Currently everything seems to be working okay for me except it will not match ANSI codes.

Frankly, I think it is great or I wouldn't have bought it and spent the hours that I have been on it.
Hyomoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:47 pm   

Idiot, I'm using the public release. It's nice that you are so sure of yourself you are infalliable, but why not let the professionals handle this, your words only betray your ignoramous and make you look like a snob. You may not care that you appear a total douche in the forums, but why not try actually helping someone instead of being a RO user? Thanks forum buddy, but I didn't ask for your help(reread the last paragraph). Why don't you get some fresh air for a while, I have a few updates.

When you have two windows open, sometimes the triggers will be applied to the currently open window rather than the source window. For instance, I have a trigger to cause me to do something under a particular set of circumstances, if I am in another MUD window, the variable it uses is created for my other library even though the trigger itself isn't applied, and it does not fire at all in the source window.

Once again, variables keep disappearing from my status line, sometimes when this happens it causes them to not function as they are supposed to even though it claims to contain the right data still. It may contain 'torch', but on my status line it shows a blank. If I change the data it will show up, but not before then. For instance, I can press '+' to toggle my triggers, I don't have them labled by class, rather a single variable controls all of them. There may be another way, that isn't the point. Anyways, even though it claims to have '1' as it's data, when I toggle it goes blank, then 0 then 1. which it is supposed to only toggle between 0 and 1. I have it set as an integer so I'm not sure why but I think it's being treated as a string. The code for it is #if @var=0 {#var var 1} {#var var 0} so there's not much room for error.

If I copy-paste an alias from one library to another library it doesn't work for me. I have to create a new alias in the other library and copy paste the contents from the other alias into the new one. Also, sometimes my marcos to not work and I must ctrl-tab between the two windows to fix it.

The minimizing problem seems to have been corrected on reinstall, but it was an issue. All the other issues, still rampant however. I had to revert my entire library back to the zMUD version to fix whatever the errors I was having with it were.

This post is not a complaint, it is reference to recognize and fix any bugs that may be present. If it's in the wrong forum, cry. Your speculation on what is wrong is unneccessary, you have been 100% wrong, all of you. You may think you are a tech-geeks but if you knew ANYTHING about TS, you'd know you need to be sitting in front of my computer to offer me advice. As stated, IF THESE ARE PROBLEMS OTHERS HAVE HAD AND THERE ARE VIABLE FIXES I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, your comments are unneccessary, I'm not posting because I want replies, I'm posting because they are bugs and they should be noted. Thanks and PLEASE refrain from posting again. I'd like to keep the thread clear in case any more issues pop up.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:35 pm   

Not sure it's me that needs the fresh air. Calm down kid, no need for the hissy fits.
Ta for the proper feedback this time though, I expect it'll help Zugg more than the rants.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:56 pm   

I may be going against the suggestion to be 100% before posting, but I'll take the chance. If you'd like to post feedback to the software developer of CMUD (with out responses/guesses) from forum members then perhaps you would prefer to use the feedback system within CMUD which is available via Help --> Send Feedback on the CMUD menu. It's also available when CMUD encounters an error. This is very useful to Zugg (the developer) because it contains key stack trace information for when the error occurred and offers the opportunity for you to describe what you were doing when the error occurred. I'll assume you're using this and not say anything more on it.

As you mentioned before responses may not be 100% applicable, because multiple problems have the same symptoms and unless we are in front of your PC (as you said) we won't know exactly what happened. The other point is that first post did not necessarily provide enough detail properly diagnose the problems (I'm inclined to to believe that Zugg would have the same issue); however the second post has much more detail and is appreciated. In terms of additional support the developer is currently on vacation, so the forum members (especially those of us were part of the Beta process) are the most informed of the product, and the most likely to be able to provide a solution.

Finally I'd like to reiterating some of the forum etiquette guidelines. General questions should posted in this forum, while bugs (and feature requests) should be posted in the Beta forums. Each question, bug etc should be it's own topic. This is especially important for bugs as the forum topics and feedback systems are tied to a bug database which are then categorized or grouped. Not doing so runs the risk that some of the topics may fall off the radar.

Hope that helps.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:37 am   

Also just a small reminder to everyone...please be polite with each other. I think I can say with 100% certainety that all of the moderators do not really like it when we have to lock a thread. There really is no reason to be rude or flame others. We all make mistakes, post while at less then full faculties, and other silly things. So please just try to stay civil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: