Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ceres
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 pm   

Settings editor - CMUD vs zMud

I was wondering if anyone prefers the Package editor and Settings window in CMUD to the Settings Editor in zMud?

Personally I prefer the zMud editor for the following reasons (in order of importance):

1. Using the 'Details' view I can monitor modifications on multiple variables, when editing complex scrips, without having to either click on the variables within the editor or set up 'echoes' to another window.
2. I prefer some form of auto-indentation to be applied to my code via the pretty print option.
3. The option to check syntax while typing (and pressing save) is more user-friendly than having to 'Ctrl+k'
4. The ability to sort by 'None' in order to have settings displayed as I choose.

For those that prefer CMUD's editors could you please explain why as I am not seeing any advantages with the CMUD editors from a user perspective.
Baram
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:32 am   

Zugg has said that the editors are far from finished.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:13 pm   

I prefer the CMUD editor, though there are things I miss about the zMUD editor when I use CMUD.

1. Syntax checking and pretty printing while typing often screwed up my scripts when I paused for even a second in my typing.
2. I prefer to do my own indentation and make things the way I want than to have an auto-indenter do the formatting it's own way.
3. The 'None' sorting is deprecated now that the sort order is no longer the priority, and many users will be confused if their scripts aren't alphabetically listed. (I group my aliases and triggers logically in my text scripts, but I don't mind at all that they're sorted alphabetically after I import them.)
4. I like having more room to view variable contents (data records and string lists, especially) or large script blocks. The details view was somewhat superfluous in zMUD.
5. The Find feature works for sub-states in multi-state triggers, which it does not in zMUD.

I'll be glad when all the little GUI anomalies are worked out of the Package Editor, I will admit.
alluran
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:35 am   

It takes some getting used to, but the cmud editor is rather nice. Its true that the details view of zMud was pretty handy, as was the ability to hover over a varname and have its value pop up, but on the same note, it could also cause problems (try writing a recursive procedure that expects a value in, the hover state feeds them %1s which can cause infinite loops) Overall, the more i use cMud, and work around the quirks, the more i like it. I can't wait for it to get a little further along, but understand that this may take a while.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm   Yeah I like the CMUD editor

Zmud's was nice but my favorite thing about CMUD is that nice "notes" textfield where I can put comments on my settings which show up in the package editor's status bar when a setting is selected. I feel that really helps organization. Also I haven't run into any "always on top" quirks which plagued me in ZMUD from time to time. One thing I'm missing about ZMUD's editor is the ability to drag and drop items in a string list/database record. I find I can't do that in CMUD which is going to be a bummer when it comes time to organize my cures by priority but, CMUD's editor still just feels better to me.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:11 pm   

I have to agree with Ceres' points at the moment. I used Pretty Printing, and except for one or two exceptions when zMUD wouldn't understand my perfectly good code, I found it was extremely useful. The mouseover variables to see the values is something I use *all* the time. I even put #NOOPs into my code so I could do that on variables I had just set. Hopefully, these features will come later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: