Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
pronub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 am   

COMADO/SQL Database Troubles...

Ok, im using COMADO to connect to a MS SQL Express database using ODBC on windows xp SP2...

I'm using the following (and i've tried MANY variations of everything...) to retreive data from a database of items...

Quote:
#VAR Conn %comcreate( "ADODB.connection")
#noop @Conn.Open( "mysql")
;
#var rs %comcreate("ADODB.recordset")
#noop @rs.open("select * from eqdb where name like '%stuff%'", @conn)
;
#say @rs.recordcount

despite this returning multiple items, two, AND being able to use:

Quote:
#while (!@rs.eof) {#say @rs.Fields(name ).Value
#noop @rs.movenext}

to show individual items, the recordcount comes out as -1... Is it not correctly making a recordset?

Also, I need to know how to display individual parts of the data once it's in a record set...

Using zmud's database and syntax as an example, i could search for an item, then in way of formatting the text to make it look pretty i could go:

Quote:
#echo Name:&name, Level:&level, Type:&type... etc

So, to use what i know to try and explain, something like:

Quote:
#echo Name:@rs.fields( "name"), Level:@rs.fields( "level"), Type:@rs.fields( "type")... etc

I can show any ONE column, but not multiple together, and not really as freely as i need. I need it to be as free as the zmud syntax (as in i can call the value at will to use in if's and the like) so i can code a whole heap of checks in to not display blank fields and fields i dont want to show... Having a generic format is no good, you dont wanna see damage dice and average on armor do you?

Eventually i need to be able to count how many results are returned, if it's within a certain limit, display just the names of each item so you can refine your search, and if only one item is returned, display the data in a nice format as per above.

Thanks for any help
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:20 am   Re: COMADO/SQL Database Troubles...

pronub wrote:
Ok, im using COMADO to connect to a MS SQL Express database using ODBC on windows xp SP2...

Quote:
#VAR Conn %comcreate( "ADODB.connection")
#noop @Conn.Open( "mysql")

So which is it? MS SQL Express or mysql?
Strakc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:24 am   

isn't MS SQL Express the same as mysql?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 am   

I can't work out if you joking or not, so I'll just say "No"!
pronub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:12 pm   

Um, i -did- mention i'm using ODBC... "mysql" is what i called my ODBC connection... perhaps an inappropriate name, but completely irrelevant...
Strakc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:55 pm   

And no I wasn't kidding, I dont really know why Mysql is or Sql beyond the point that they are databases?
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:04 pm   

Please see my post/faq here: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13491 about SQL server... it works the same in CMUD as it does in ZMUD.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:06 am   

Er, yes "Mysql" is a pretty misleading name, given that it is the name of the most commonly used database engine on the internet. That's why I was asking for clarification. And because I know that Mysql behaves differently to MS-SQL Server when it comes to 'rowcount'...
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:14 am   

One way of verifying whether it is a database or ADO (MDAC) problem, or whether the problem in CMUD, is to basically convert your zScript into some other language like ASP / VBScript / JScript and see if you get recordcount working there... Also, did you try it in zMUD?
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:12 am   

Also, rowcount is often not available/implemented for a lot of database types (something to do with cursors and fetch on demand stuff on the database server).

You should be able to do a select count(*) from table where <clause> to get the rowcount if it is vital, but the usual way to query a recordset is a while !eof / movenext type thing, you can always increment a variable inside the while loop to keep track of how many records were returned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: