Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kymon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:38 am   

[1.22] copying a class to a package

when i copy a class to a package the content of the class gets pasted outside the newly created class folder.
action:
- copy source class to destination package
result:
- new destination folder gets correctly created in the destination package
- content of the source folder gets pasted into the destination package, but outside the destination folder

sometimes cmud even crashes while copying, or doesn't save the copied classes.

now i can't even connect to the mud anymore, access violation.

i created a new session, made a class with an alias in it, created a new package, copied the class into the package, access violation.
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:40 am   

Im cant get this to happen at all.

Could it be a corrupted package file from a previous version? I remember this happening early on.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:58 pm   

what is the correct way to do a clean re-install?
i un-installed cmud, and deleted the personal cmud folder.
however my license information was still intact when i re-installed, so i don't know whether anything else was left.
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 pm   

i think thats held in the registry.. if i were you id recreate all your package files from scratch, with the new version.. just to eliminate that. so delete the packages folder when your clearing out the other stuff, then you can be sure that everything you create is fresh.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:24 pm   

Actually, I have no idea where CMUD keeps its license information. I haven't had to re-enter my code in all of my reinstallations. It's probably got something to do with the free trial - because if you've used your trial, it should persist over uninstalls, for example, and so I guess your license will stay after uninstalling too. Since codes are only vaid for 7 days and you can only retrieve it once a month without emailing Chiara, that's probably not a bad thing.

Regardless, the installer now clears the registry when you run it. So just delete the data directory and the install directory and then run the installer.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:02 pm   

Yeah, the licence information stuff can't be easily removed from your computer, of course. As Fang says, this is to due with the free trial as much as anything. So I wouldn't worry about the fact that this information persists over clean installs.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:21 pm   

Well, the license info can be removed easily enough, you just run cmud with the unlicense option (read cmud_license.rtf in the CMUD directory). It's just not removed by uninstalling.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:27 am   

Heh, with the current licensing system the only reasons I can see for unlicensing your system are if you are planning to give away/sell your computer or you were using a computer assigned to you at work (and it is being given to someone else) , (I'd have to re-read what the agreement says about a spouse on your second computer) or you want to buy a new license and register it under a funny name on each computer Twisted Evil
I have a system at work, a system at home, and a system at my parents house for when I visit. In each case I am the only user of cMud and that follows the license agreement. Though I might get around to buying another license or two for other people I don't think I will go the funny name route.

Seriously though, There are going to be things left on your machine because of the 30 day trail and the requirement to register. Even if you use the uninstall tool.

Normally this kind of behaviour in a software package anoys me no-end as I have no intention of using their crappy software every again. That being why I am uninstalling it in the first place!

This is understandable and very reasonable on Zuggs part though.
I bought Zmud a long time ago. When I saw cMud was being developed I bought it right away too.
Did I actually pay for them because I couldn't manage to crack them? Hell no. Aside from it being illigal I could crack and distribute Zmud, Cmud, Zmapper etc and provide them in a nice little self installer. I'm a programmer after all. And I have All the tools for the job at work even if I weren't; it never has been very hard to crack Zmud. There exist cracks for nearly every version.
I've even accidentally beaten the 30 day trail before.
(I know very well how to do this on purpose. I work on many computers around 500 regularly.) But having a legal copy and NO desire to cheat Zugg this was amusing.
The fact is he actually LOWERED his security when he left elicense for his current system because it was more CUSTOMER friendly to do so.
Elicense was a REAL pain in many ways even if you WERE legal for Zmud, but it could still be beaten.
Since he left elicense it pretty much doesn't affect you to uninstall Zmud/cMud, and reinstall while keeping your license installed.
People Want his products because he is a very good programmer so his products are the best and he gives a damn about his Customers.
If folks don't support him by actually PAYING for their software we will all end up losing.
Zugg provides the best software anywhere for the job, provides us with documentation, his documentation is a little Prozac but he also provides us with forums and free support, AND he gives us a full 30 day free trial. To top all of this the prices are very reasonable.
So I hardly feel upset having a few of his marks left in my registry when I install something, and later decide to uninstall.
I know why those things were left and I trust Zugg not to do nasty things to my machine.

Sorry about the ranting. I just figgured someone else might after I mentioned that you can't easily remove all traces of cMud even after running the Unlicense tool.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:43 am   

That's quite an essay there, Arminas. I'd express it differently: Zugg's got more than 60k customers last time I checked. He's got to be doing something right ^_^

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:59 am   

Now he is. It used to be that something like 55k of those users were longtime users generally not putting money back into Zuggsoft.com. Kind of surprised he lasted so long during the "slump", though it wasn't as though he was initially living on the edge (as you can tell, Zugg's no dummy Very Happy ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: