Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:24 am   

[1.22] Cannot run at all.

This is rather confusing, as I have a decently-running copy of 1.21 on my work computer... I decided to install 1.22 here at home to begin the arduous task of porting across my mass of zMud scripts.

I uninstalled the previous version of CMud I had, and installed 1.22 fresh. After a couple errors while setting up my first session, CMud began to crash constantly whenever I'd restart it.

Uninstalled again. Deleted every folder I had anywhere that CMud had created. Re-installed. Now it won't run at all. I start the program and immediately it crashes.

I paid for CMud... as I hoped it'd eventually be a better client than zMud... but at the moment I can't use it at all :( Is there some sort of persistent data that CMud stores somewhere on my system that I have to hunt down and purge before I can run it?

Any tips? (And yes, I've submitted the bug reports when it popped up)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:48 pm   

The only bug I've heard of that can cause instant crashes on startup was the one where you chose to install your data in Documents\My Games\CMUD but the My Games folder didn't exist. That's supposed to be fixed.

It's possible that it's something to do with those "couple of errors when setting up your first session" too. If you manage to contrive a way to delete the window the session creates, CMUD will crash whenever you try to open that session, for example.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 pm   

Three things.
1. you mentioned you've deleted every folder you could find. I would double check this, as I often forget about one location or another. There may be files in c:/program files/cmud, c:/*/my documents/my games/cmud after uninstall all of these should be deleted (unless you have a .pkg or map files or something you want to keep, and if this is the case, I would move them than re-import them after install).
2. I had a similar error, Zugg suggested that I check with regedit to see if there were any keys under HKLM or HKCU in software for Cmud.
3. possibly a reboot after uninstall may help...
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:23 pm   

It created the My Games folder every time... I checked that bug while browsing the forums.

I've since attempted multiple reinstallations. I got lucky once and got all the way to the Session screen, but once I created my new session it crashed and I couldn't get past the "Initializing Characters" point on the splash screen on restart.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm   

According to the crash dumps that you sent, the error message you are getting is "SQL Error: unable to open database file.". Did you install CMUD using the Admin account on your computer? Do you have write permission to the directory that you selected for the Session Files when you installed?

You might also search your computer for another SQLITE.DLL file is see if there is some other version of SQL Lite on your system that might be conflicting with the CMUD file. Although Windows is supposed to use the DLL within the program files directory first.

What CMUD is trying to do is create the SESSIONS.DB database file within your DataDir directory (My Documents/My Games/CMUD in your case). So, for some reason it cannot create this file in that directory. So it's either a database issue, or a simple file permission issue.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:36 pm   

I was logged in as an Administrator, so file permissions aren't an issue.

As far as I know the only program(s) I use that utilize SqlLite are zMud (I think you mentioned at some point that that used it) and CMud. Before the installation I cleared both the program files folder and the my documents/my games/CMud folder. When I get back home I'll search for rogue copies of Sqlite.dll.

Is it possible my zMud installation is causing this? I'd /really/ rather not uninstall my zMud until I've gotten everything stably ported over.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:39 pm   

I've run both simultaneously with no problems.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:41 pm   

Nod... I didn't really /think/ zMud was the issue, considering all of Zugg's messages that we should continue using zMud as our primary until CMud is fully ready... but since I don't know of other SQLLite installations on my system, I figured I'd ask.

Especially since it works on my work computer, which doesn't have a zMud installation on it :P
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:31 am   

OK... so far nothing suggested has helped. I've searched for all instances of sqlite.dll on my hard drives, and in the registry... I've searched for any remnants of anything remotely CMud-related on my entire computer and nuked them.

Attempted installation again. My Games/CMud creates fine. Program Files/CMud contains Sqlite.dll (The only other copy on the entire computer is in my zMud installation).

Start CMud... same crash. Let the program continue execution... splash screen is frozen in place, but the main screen appears, simply without toolbars or the standard Untitled Session window. If I quit and restart it'll load, but after a few steps (create a session, delete the other sessions, edit my new session to add icon & character information), the program won't load anymore.

I've submitted a couple more bug reports, with specifics on the whole process I've followed... I'm hoping Zugg will be able to find something.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:35 pm   

I'm afraid I can't find anything. It's something really wierd on your system that is not allowing the SQLLite database engine to create a new database file in that disk directory. There is nothing I can do on this end. Which install option are you using for your Session files? Have you tried the second option where it installs everything to the directory the CMUD.EXE file is installed into. Have you tried installing the entire program to C:/CMUD instead of Program Files? Just trying to think of anything that Windows might be interferring with on your computer. Did you make sure that none of the directories are set to be "readonly" or something like that?

You said it works on your work computer, so it has to be something specific to your home computer that is causing this. But it's not really something I can help with remotely, so you'll just need to mess with your computer. Personally, I'd probably do a WinXP "Repair" install from the original XP disk and then reapply all of the Microsoft patches and see if that helps.

Oh, and before doing something like that, certainly make sure you have run Windows Update and installed all of the required patches from Microsoft.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:32 am   

Nod... I think I'm about due another system format. Gotta love that about Windows... I seem to have to reformat about twice a year to keep my system from bogging down... *chuckle*

Of course, if I convert, I hafta beg Zugg to port this to Linux :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: