Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:49 pm   

[1.22] Feature idea - Automatic copying of zMUD data

Obviously, if you install CMUD into your zMUD folder and choose the program files installation option in 1.22 and earlier versions, then all your zMUD stuff gets converted by CMUD automatically. But ever since CMUD 1.0 I have been installing CMUD into a different folder to zMUD, and given the option to now have data files somewhere else, I expect an increasing number of people will be doing this. This means I have to manually copy over all the files from zMUD that I want to be converted or otherwise accessible to CMUD. I don't mind doing this (I've been doing it for months), but maybe it is time to have an installation option if you are installing your data directory not into the zMUD data directory along the lines of "Do you want to copy over your zMUD settings to this data directory?"

I suppose this should happen when you first run CMUD, rather than when it is installed, to ensure the data gets put in the right place if you are running CMUD as a different user to the one who installed it.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:01 pm   

...I'm not sure if anyone would be installing CMUD into their zMUD folder. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Is it really that much of an effort to move the folders from your zMUD directory to the CMUD data directory?

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:07 pm   

totally agree with Fang, installing cMud into your zMud directory would be a nightmare.

Also Seb, weve not had a package file corruption problem for quite a few updates now, and arent likely to, so really what you were doing was only needed during the really early updates. You should only need to import and convert your .mud files from zmud once, after that, its no longer an issue. unless your still running zMud, which right now, with cMud as near complete as it is, is pretty pointless.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 pm   

Quote:
totally agree with Fang, installing cMud into your zMud directory would be a nightmare.

Zugg on several occations has suggested that new users do just that.
This new idea of putting settings files inside the my documents folder is more a vista compatibility issue.
As for re-converting files for each new version I do just that. And I am submiting new bugs for each version.
Yes cMud is near complete but I still actually mud more with Zmud than I do with cMud as the button issues bother me.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:15 am   

I echo what Arminas said.

The original instructions from Zugg for version 1.0 were to install into the zMUD directory to get CMUD to convert your settings. Anyway, that is irrelevant as I am saying we should help users who do NOT do this. I thought of this after the Copy / Paste thread where Zugg said you shouldn't be or at least don't have to copy / paste from zMUD to CMUD.

Excuse me, but even in 1.21 there are triggers losing their preferences, so I am right to continue importing my mud file.

And yes, not that it's relevant, but I'm going to be continuing using zMUD (for playing mortal at least) until the zMapper plugin works for CMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:41 pm   

The public version will probably have a zMUD Import wizard that allows you to copy your zMUD files into your CMUD directory. It's something I hope to work on today depending upon how many other bugs need to be fixed.

Seb: the zMapper issue is actually a bug and is something I'm trying to fix for the public release. zMapper doesn't work as a normal plugin...all it needs to do is detect whether or not zMapper is installed properly to activate zMapper code within CMUD itself. So I think this is fixable. It just won't be optimized for CMUD yet.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 pm   

Zugg wrote:
The public version will probably have a zMUD Import wizard that allows you to copy your zMUD files into your CMUD directory. It's something I hope to work on today depending upon how many other bugs need to be fixed.

All good.

Zugg wrote:
Seb: the zMapper issue is actually a bug and is something I'm trying to fix for the public release. zMapper doesn't work as a normal plugin...all it needs to do is detect whether or not zMapper is installed properly to activate zMapper code within CMUD itself. So I think this is fixable. It just won't be optimized for CMUD yet.

I had a feeling it might just be a question of activating some zMapper code in CMUD. That would be great if that could be fixed. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: