Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Gregorius
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:41 pm   

[1.19] Deleting tabs in package editor/main window

Fresh installed 1.19. Start cmud. Closed sessions window. Loaded settings on from separate directory with package editor. On this phase there are 2 windows: 'untitled' and 'Zombie' (loaded window). When deleting 'untitled' tab in package editor, cmud asks 'Are you sure to delete Zombie', NO! Then I deleted the window 'untitled' from the 'untitled' tab (all this in package editor). After that deletion of the tab was succesful.

However the window in the main view remained. Tried to delete it and then cmud gives bug error. Reporting didn't work so I posted this here.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 pm   

How were you trying to delete the tabs? Were you right-clicking and selecting the Delete Tab option, or doing it some other way.

CMUD tries to prevent you from removing the default session window. When you load settings using the package editor File/Open command, you are not replacing the session package...you are just adding another package to the session. If you select the Edit Session option from the main Session window, you will see that the package that you opened with the package editor will be listed in the package list.

By just closing the session window without creating or selecting a session, then you get the default "untitled" session. This session is always overwritten when you start CMUD.

So your above procedure is not the correct way to create session files or packages. You should be creating a new session, then clicking Edit Session, go to Files tab and use the Browse button to locate the package file you want loaded for the session. The window in this file will become the main session window. When you open this session offline, your window will replace the normal "untitled" window.
Gregorius
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:22 am   

I deleted them using right-click/delete tab. However I tested it again with other pkg file, and it worked like it should... Sorry for this misinformation. I should've tried to reproduce it before posting.

If the procedure I used is not the 'correct' way of doing it, why is it even possible? (Now that it works this is unnecessary...) The way of doing things vary as lot as people normally do. I like to start from as simple as possible. These different packages make things in the editor a bit more complex, but I don't have to use them, 1 package is enough :) I know there are many reasons for implementing those. I'm getting used to cmud now, and I like it. Thanks for a good (and constantly improving) program!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 pm   

Well, there is a good reason that the initial Sessions window is displayed when you run CMUD, and that it is set to Stay On Top over all other windows. It means you are supposed to select a session! Or create a new session! Why just close this window?

OK, so you close the window just to get started quickly. OK, fine, CMUD is designed to work like that too. Just close the session window and now start creating your aliases, triggers, etc. When you are done creating your settings, then use the File/Save Session As to save you work to a new session. That works fine too.

If you open the package editor and load an existing package file, then CMUD also works fine.

The problem comes when you use the package editor to try and open a previous zMUD *.MUD file. The *.MUD files didn't know about packages. Should this overwrite your main session window? NO. People would be really upset if loading a zMUD MUD file overwrote their main session and lost all of their existing scripts. So CMUD loads the MUD file as a separate package. The "untitled" is still the main window for your session.

The bug is that it let you delete the untitled window in the first place (and that it displayed the wrong window name when you tried to delete the tab). But you had to do a lot just to get to this state.

There are always lots of ways to do things that are not "correct". It's "possible" because there are situations where people do want to load MUD settings as separate packages. CMUD already tries to prevent you from doing what you did, but you were able to get around that. Yeah, it's not perfect yet.

But I think you made this more complicated yourself. Why did you even mess with the Package Editor if you didn't want to deal with packages? Why not just create a New Session like you always did in zMUD in the first place? Clicking Edit, going to the Files tab, and entering your settings filename works just about the same in CMUD as it did in zMUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: