Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account
 

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum
XonDK
Apprentice


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:58 pm   

3.12 stability?
 
How stable is the 3.12?
I'm still using 2.37, and getting random errors when I reset a large amount of variables, crashable errors, that make sense, for example it stating that concat isn't done right, but when I do it another time it is fine?
So I'm considering updating to 3.12 but I'm wondering how stable it is compared to 2.37?
anyone?
Reply with quote
XonDK
Apprentice


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 pm   
 
Example of 2.37 error.

ERROR: Operator expression not allowed here requires two arguments

ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments <---------- times 48
ERROR: Operator LIST requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator LIST requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator LIST requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments
ERROR: Operator CONCAT requires two arguments

All above are working and functional and it seems entirely random when it does this failure. but when it does it, its floating point calculations stops working and gives error as well.
Reply with quote
DanteX
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:35 pm   
 
I'm using 3.12 and I have way too many crashes for me to be happy... The program seems to screw up the session by itself. I created a new session... didn't have problems at the begining... then some erros / crashes came... and problems that made me create a new session... started to show up in that new one also.
Reply with quote
DanteX
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:40 pm   
 
Here's a common crash for me nowdays:

Code:

00404d61 +0011 cMUD.exe   System        30   +0 TObject.FreeInstance
00405152 +0002 cMUD.exe   System        30   +0 @ClassDestroy
00471b66 +0052 cMUD.exe   Classes               TStringList.Destroy
00404da4 +0008 cMUD.exe   System        30   +0 TObject.Free
00645524 +001c cMUD.exe   dbutil       188   +2 FreeList
006466ee +0086 cMUD.exe   dbutil       540   +4 IsMember
0065303b +006b cMUD.exe   dbUtilHash    85   +7 IsMemberNode
00d7cce3 +010b cMUD.exe   CodeExec     954  +16 ExecMUDFunction
00d814f7 +05b7 cMUD.exe   CodeExec    2167  +86 HandleFunc
00d81695 +0035 cMUD.exe   CodeExec    2213   +5 HandleFuncRef
00d85b84 +061c cMUD.exe   CodeExec    3405 +108 TCodeExec.InternalExecute
00d7c158 +0070 cMUD.exe   CodeExec     598   +9 TCodeExec.Expression
00d80b24 +0014 cMUD.exe   CodeExec    1956   +1 BoolExpression
00d836e8 +035c cMUD.exe   CodeExec    2740  +31 HandleCom
00d85ba8 +0640 cMUD.exe   CodeExec    3408 +111 TCodeExec.InternalExecute
00d7bdeb +0053 cMUD.exe   CodeExec     510   +8 TCodeExec.Execute
00d70372 +00c2 cMUD.exe   PrefDat    10894   +9 TCacheNode.Execute
00d6c89c +0318 cMUD.exe   PrefDat     9350  +56 PrefRec.InternalExecute
00d6cb06 +0022 cMUD.exe   PrefDat     9408   +2 PrefRec.Execute
00c9ac2f +0153 cMUD.exe   MAIN        6633  +14 TMUDForm.ExecThread
00ca432f +0527 cMUD.exe   MAIN        9589 +101 TMUDForm.ExecTrig
00ca1955 +13c5 cMUD.exe   MAIN        8734 +340 TMUDForm.HandleTrigger
00ca005f +000f cMUD.exe   MAIN        8218   +1 TMUDForm.UserOutNewLine
009ffe23 +0067 cMUD.exe   term        9686   +6 TTerm.DoTriggerLine
009fe744 +0218 cMUD.exe   term        9244  +34 HandleNewLine
009fefb3 +06ef cMUD.exe   term        9372 +104 TTerm.PutText
009ff593 +0053 cMUD.exe   term        9479   +2 TTerm.Add
00c899fa +00b6 cMUD.exe   MAIN        1790   +8 TMUDForm.OutputStr
00404da4 +0008 cMUD.exe   System        30   +0 TObject.Free
00c89d1a +011a cMUD.exe   MAIN        1878  +29 TMUDForm.NextMUDLine
00c8a1ea +0022 cMUD.exe   MAIN        1959   +4 TMUDForm.DoNextLine
004bb267 +02bb cMUD.exe   Controls              TControl.WndProc
004bf26b +04fb cMUD.exe   Controls              TWinControl.WndProc
004a17cb +0553 cMUD.exe   Forms                 TCustomForm.WndProc
004be994 +002c cMUD.exe   Controls              TWinControl.MainWndProc
0047c644 +0014 cMUD.exe   Classes               StdWndProc
7e3696c2 +000a USER32.dll                       DispatchMessageA
004a9940 +00fc cMUD.exe   Forms                 TApplication.ProcessMessage
004a997a +000a cMUD.exe   Forms                 TApplication.HandleMessage
004a9c6f +00b3 cMUD.exe   Forms                 TApplication.Run
00e07668 +0088 cMUD.exe   CMUD         352  +20 initialization
7c912c21 +0069 ntdll.dll                        RtlUnicodeStringToAnsiString
Reply with quote
charneus
Wizard


Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 1876
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:55 pm   
 
Those having crashes really do need to report them as soon as possible. Complaining about crashes do nothing unless Zugg can fix it.

Personally, I have currently 630 triggers, a few complex scripts, and a map with over 29k rooms mapped. I don't have crashes. In fact, I can keep CMUD running 24/7 and have no problems with it.

But then again, that's just me. :P

Charneus
Reply with quote
XonDK
Apprentice


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:41 am   
 
the more I could get feedback from the better
Reply with quote
DanteX
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:20 pm   
 
I've been sending crash reports to all my crashes almsot, I hope it'll help... I just think it's been too quiet regarding the instabilities I've reported :P
Reply with quote
Fizban1216
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 170

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 am   
 
I'm in the same boat as charneus, I have a stupid number of triggers and aliases, etc. and have no real issues at all with 3.12. No clue if some of the issues people are having are OS related, but am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Reply with quote
MattLofton
GURU


Joined: 23 Dec 2000
Posts: 4834
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 am   
 
Those who are having problems may want to spend some serious time recreating layouts, recreating packages, and recreating sessions. I had a hell of a time getting rid of the corruption plaguing me, and I never got past the basic idea of which package it was (even the XML was showing no problems).
_________________
EDIT: I didn't like my old signature
Reply with quote
DanteX
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:52 am   
 
Matt, I have created a new session from scratch, cpy/pst-ing the settings I wanted from my zmud-imported session. Yet, that new session has gotten screwed. What I don't feel, is to spend a whole day every month with creating a new session because the old one screwed up itself. I've put various of my larger scripts into separate modules, hoping it would solve the problem. Some day ago I created a new session, used my old modules, and copied the entier content of my main setting... and ended up with getting the same errors. And I have sent crash reports for almost all crashes I've had...

Another funny thing I get:

"ERROR: Syntax error in Alias: areachange : error in floating point value"

due to the code:

temp4=3.4
#ALARM {+@temp4} {#SHOW text}

and when I restart CMUD, it works properly...
Reply with quote
XonDK
Apprentice


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 pm   
 
I've checked my code again and again, exported it to xml and reimported it, nothing fixes it, not even removing all the layout and starting over.
Reply with quote
Zugg
MASTER


Joined: 25 Sep 2000
Posts: 23379
Location: Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm   
 
DanteX: Your crash above is coming from one of your user-defined functions. You really need to start a separate post about this issue and then post the script XML for the function that is causing the crash. Run the Script Debugger window to determine which script/trigger is running when you get the errors.

All of the errors that you have shown in this thread are specific problems with your scripts, and without seeing the scripts that you are importing, we can't really help.

The crash dumps that you send just go into a database, and if the crashes are related to a specific user script, then they mostly get ignored since I can't do anything without the script that caused the error.

Remember that this is the BETA forum and the purpose of using the Beta version is to help debug it. So you need to go through you zMUD import step by step to try and track down the exact trigger/script that is causing the problem.
Reply with quote
XonDK
Apprentice


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 pm   
 
I understand that this is the beta forum, I was asking the above question because I was considering switching to the beta if it was more stable.

As for the errors that are script specific errors.
That's just it, 95% of the time, the errors don't occur, but then for some reason seemingly at random, they do.

I've checked checked and checked some more and simply can't find out why it would do that, especially since it doesn't do it all the time, but only at random odd times.
Reply with quote
Zugg
MASTER


Joined: 25 Sep 2000
Posts: 23379
Location: Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 am   
 
And in that regard, the 3.12 version is no worse than the 2.37 version, or even zMUD for that matter. Script specific problems can make *any* version unstable.

In the case of CMUD 2.x or greater, the cause is usually the #WAIT commands and not handling the multiple thread access to global variables properly using #SECTION. That can cause very obscure problems that are timing dependent and random. I have just as many reports of stuff like that in 2.37 as I do in 3.12. In fact, the crash dump reports on a "per user" kind of scale are worse on 2.37 than 3.12 right now.

Just remember that if *you* can't find a way to reproduce the problems, then what chance do I have to find the problem and fix it? Because we only have a small number of beta users these days, it just takes more and more time between versions to gather enough crash data. Eventually I'm going to just need to release the public version, even knowing that with the increased number of users I'll probably be swamped with bug reports. That's one of the reasons I am waiting until after the holidays to release the public version. I don't want to release something with problems right before I go away for two weeks for the holiday. I need to wait until I will have the time to do quick fixes to handle the stuff that has slipped past the beta testing.

Perhaps in public use I'll be able to gather enough data from enough users to track down some of these more obscure issues. But like I said, these things have happened in all versions of CMUD and zMUD at one time or another, so 3.x doesn't seem any worse.
Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2009 Zugg Software. Hosted by Wolfpaw.net