Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:18 am   

CMUD Questions/Issues/Something

To start a slightly new thread based off of another one:
1)
Vitae wrote:
While I now know that it exports to XML how does it look internally in that screen when you click on a folder?
Does it look the way it does in zmud or does it show only the XML version as well?
edb6377 wrote:
looks the same.
Someone wanna tell me how to get THIS

to look like this?

2)
Vitae wrote:
In zMUD, if there is one single inherited setting in a folder, you can't see the folder in that script view for some reason. Same thing if the entire folder is inherited. Is that resolved now?
Cause then being able to see the code in that view would still be pointless.
This is what I mean:
This class as no inherited settings

This one does

Of course since I can't figure out how to get #1 to work I can't really tell if this is even a fact. Which leads into #3
EDIT: For those that don't know what I am talking about in #2, NOTE that there IS text at the bottom of the screen that has no inherited settings, and that there is NO text at all at the bottom of the screen that HAS inherited settings

3)
Also, HOW in the heck do I edit the default settings in cmud????
I took out the keypad stuff and the diagonal directions (I don't need them I have no use for them, I would LIKE to use the keypad as intended without extra stuff in the way. I was able to do this in zmud and would like a way to do it here.)
Of course reload cmud and they are back.
SO, I do File > Open > default
Do the edits and Save it.
Close cmud, restart it and errors and crashes up the rear!!
I sent in the bug reports as I got them best I could.
How do i edit the default stuff permanently?
And I'll make the assumption that there are no longer inherited settings because of these package things?

Sorry if any or all of these are covered else where in here, but I tried a search and really couldn't find it.
Also can someone tell me where to put in the height & width for the images so that I can make them larger?
Code:
[URL=http://serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=3711877_cmudview.jpg&path=/imgss][img]http://serv1.imagehigh.com/imgss/3711877_cmudview.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Last edited by Vitae on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:35 am   

Most importantly this is still beta as such features are missing or buggy that you are used to using etc. So i wouldnt be too hard on anyone because you get a crash while trying to edit something he just in the last version messed with.

3. the defaults are over ridden by things you put in packages. So if you redefine your default number pad in a package it will over write the settings in the default package.

2. Your inherited settings i think more evolve around the packages created which is something i believe zugg mentioned already isnt quite ready yet.

1. Please dont take my words out of context. You asked for an xml export which i provided. It still looks like

#TRIGGER {BLAHBLAH} just like it did in zmud and since that was what we were discussing when i posted that comment i would prefer that it stays in context. You wanted to edit your scripts by printing them out.. The text version showed #COMMAND etc. whereas the xml didnt and was hard for you to read. My post was directly related to that point.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 am   

1)You don't. ZMud kludged everything, and high on that list was the Class Script tab. Unless Zugg is going to add it back again, it's forever gone, I think.

2)is related to #1
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 am   

MattLofton wrote:
1)You don't. ZMud kludged everything, and high on that list was the Class Script tab. Unless Zugg is going to add it back again, it's forever gone, I think.

2)is related to #1
So basically at this point there is no way to actually be able to view an entire set of script in one shot on screen, and unable to print a readable copy since it exports into xml.

I know (hope!) that most of this will get better with time, but at this point I am not seeing any reason for me to get cmud. There may be the benefit of faster code or whatever, but If I have no way to actually SEE my code....*shrug*

Personally I thought the class view was one of the best features of zmud btw, yeah, had it's lil quirks, but hell, at least I could SEE my code.

Last edited by Vitae on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 am   

edb6377 wrote:
Most importantly this is still beta as such features are missing or buggy that you are used to using etc. So i wouldnt be too hard on anyone because you get a crash while trying to edit something he just in the last version messed with.
Nah, wasn't being hard about it, was just something I noticed. That editing the defualt settings like you could in zmud wasn't possible.

edb6377 wrote:
3. the defaults are over ridden by things you put in packages. So if you redefine your default number pad in a package it will over write the settings in the default package.
Not sure what you mean there, how does something get over ridden in the default if I'm trying to DELETE it.

edb6377 wrote:
2. Your inherited settings i think more evolve around the packages created which is something i believe zugg mentioned already isnt quite ready yet.
Thats what I thought. My wife and I use many of the same triggers and alias' and wasnt sure about the similarities between these packages or modules and inheriteds

Quote:

Vitae wrote:
While I now know that it exports to XML how does it look internally in that screen when you click on a folder?
Does it look the way it does in zmud or does it show only the XML version as well?
edb6377 wrote:
looks the same.

edb6377 wrote:
1. Please dont take my words out of context. You asked for an xml export which i provided. It still looks like

#TRIGGER {BLAHBLAH} just like it did in zmud and since that was what we were discussing when i posted that comment i would prefer that it stays in context. You wanted to edit your scripts by printing them out.. The text version showed #COMMAND etc. whereas the xml didnt and was hard for you to read. My post was directly related to that point.

Since I had MEANT in that particular part if the class view looked in cmud the same that it did in zmud, I took your answer to mean that in CMUD it looks the same as it does in ZMUD, which Matt has said is gone. So I'm not sure where exactly you mean #TRIGGER {BLAHBLAH} looks the same. For all intents and purposes cmud at no time even shows #TRIGGER {BLAHBLAH}
It shows a gun for the triggers, the name etc. and it exports to a horrid looking format. (again sorry, this is my opinion) But at no point does it ever show #TRIGGER {BLAHBLAH}...unless I am doing something wrong, or you have an advanced version than 1.05 :-)
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:27 am   

I used the class script page a fair amount when I was doing my scripts, however that was usually to do with sharing my scripts with others so with the package library I'm not sure if I will have the need for it or not.

Sometimes I would copy the class script on one computer, and using a clip-board sharing tool, paste it into the command line on my other computer to get the script installed.

So... it definatley had its uses, even if they are limited.

Maybe a more human-readable form of XML is still the way to go, and that XML could be displayed where the class script used to be?
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:34 am   

All I want is SOME way that I can export or copy and paste my entire scripts into a text file so that I can then print it and on a relaxing train ride be able to see:
Code:
#trigger {^You have ~[%d~] practice sessions.} {#echo %ansi( grey)You have %ansi( blue, high)~[%ansi( grey)@totaltrain%ansi( blue, high)~]%ansi( grey) @skilltype left to train.}
and not:
Code:
 <record id="1048706">
      <id>1048706</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname>^You have ~[%d~] practice sessions.</idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#echo %ansi( grey)You have %ansi( blue, high)~[%ansi( grey)@totaltrain%ansi( blue, high)~]%ansi( grey) @skilltype left to train.</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1300</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384624</memref>
    </record>

Dunno about anyone else, but being able to print more than one trigger per page is a good thing....
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:12 am   

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if there's no way to export triggers to a human readable format then it'll hurt CMUD far more than shared packages will help CMUD.
Personally the shared packages feature doesn't excite me much, I only play one mud and I don't expect to start anywhere else. Ignoring that though, if I was ever to download a package then I'd want to be able to see what it does - which I'd normally do by exporting to .txt and reading.
If I couldn't easily see what it does I'd not download it, simple as that. Not only because I want to see what's running on my machine, but because if there's something fancy in a script then I'd like to be able to pick it apart and use it elsewhere to learn. That's how I've picked up most of what I know, by looking at what other people have done better and trying to copy it. I'd expect a lot of the more experienced users would be in a similar position.
Another reason (something I already posted elsewhere)
Quote:
I think if CMUD doesn't allow exports to text then people will find supporting other users quite tiring.
A lot of times I've put something into zmud to troubleshoot a forum query then exported it and pasted back into the forums once fixed. If CMUD only exports to XML I don't think I'd bother, since the export isn't particularly readable for the experienced user and probably just incomprehensible for the novice. IMHO it *needs* to be something that almost anyone can look at and understand the structure.

I know it's still Beta, so I'm not fussed about it being in 1.06, just for some discussion over whether it needs to be addressed before the public release.

Guinn
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:20 am   

Guinn wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if there's no way to export triggers to a human readable format then it'll hurt CMUD far more than shared packages will help CMUD.
Personally the shared packages feature doesn't excite me much, I only play one mud and I don't expect to start anywhere else. Ignoring that though, if I was ever to download a package then I'd want to be able to see what it does - which I'd normally do by exporting to .txt and reading.
If I couldn't easily see what it does I'd not download it, simple as that. Not only because I want to see what's running on my machine, but because if there's something fancy in a script then I'd like to be able to pick it apart and use it elsewhere to learn. That's how I've picked up most of what I know, by looking at what other people have done better and trying to copy it. I'd expect a lot of the more experienced users would be in a similar position.
Another reason (something I already posted elsewhere)
Quote:
I think if CMUD doesn't allow exports to text then people will find supporting other users quite tiring.
A lot of times I've put something into zmud to troubleshoot a forum query then exported it and pasted back into the forums once fixed. If CMUD only exports to XML I don't think I'd bother, since the export isn't particularly readable for the experienced user and probably just incomprehensible for the novice. IMHO it *needs* to be something that almost anyone can look at and understand the structure.

I know it's still Beta, so I'm not fussed about it being in 1.06, just for some discussion over whether it needs to be addressed before the public release.

Guinn

I agree Guinn. Everything I've learned about scripting has been from being able to take a script, print it out and see what it does and then take it and modify it to what I need it to do.
Many of the scripts that I use look NOTHING like what thier original scripter had.
My spellup script was based on someone elses and I was able to modify it in such a way that I felt that it even got to the point where I was able to call it my own script.
That was a labor of love for over a month for me. Pouring over the script on my train ride home. Note pad on my lap, scribbles on the margins, muttering to myself.
If I can't EASILY see #Trigger or #Alias or #Var then I'm screwed. There's enuf to worry about without trying to remember these codes and all that extra other stuff that shows up in an export.

As for the package libraries, I say HAIL ZUGG! for getting them to work. But like Guinn I have no use for it. And far as I'm concerned if I posted anything up there, I'm busy enuf that I don't have the time in my life to support any script that I put up. (I recall Zugg saying that if you post it you are required to support it.) So both ways in that I'd have no use, upload or download.

As for helping people on the board, I think we'd see less people helping eachother. Those that know xml like the back of thier hand are going to be the ones supporting because they can actually read that stuff. Others like me, who might be able to help at times, or even the rare < 10 note poster that I've seen come up with an excellent answer will be less likely to answer because they may not even be able to read the xml to even TELL where the error is. The people that know this will practically have suppporting on here a full time job.
That code that I put up there, hell if i know if there is an error in there.
The only things that matter in the script are
1) what is it? (Trigger, var, func, alias)
2) the body
3) the result

WIth the script I can tell what the body is, and what the result is, but what the hell is the rest of it? I can't even see that it's a trigger. for all i know, it's an #ONINPUT
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm   

The "Class Scripts" are not necessarily gone for good. As mentioned, they were kludged in zMUD and had many problems. In some cases, people have lost a lot of work because of these problems. So it didn't make any sense to implement something this kludgy in CMUD. More readable text formats *are* planned, and you might see some sort of Class Script or "Module Script" in the future.

However, let's stop whining about changes and "the way it used to be" and focus more on what you are trying to accomplish. Look at *why* you used Class Script. Vitae mentions that he prints the script to read it on a train. OK, that's the *task* to support. It doesn't matter if it used zMUD's kludgy text format or not, as long as it's something readable that you can print and edit. Other people have mentioned exchanging scripts (which is really what the shared library is meant to handle), mass editing of scripts, etc. Try to focus on the task you are trying to perform and not the specific implementation details.

Also, I will repeat this over and over and OVER AGAIN because people just don't seem to get this: ITS A BETA VERSION! Not only are beta versions buggy, but they are not feature complete. Please stop gettting bent out of shape.

In fact, I'll say something even more controversial: the first Public CMUD version might not even implement *all* of the features. CMUD is going to be developed and improved over many years, just as zMUD was. zMUD had 10 years of development. CMUD has had 9 months. Some things are going to take time to appear in CMUD. My focus on Public Versions is to make them stable. But new features are going to be added over time. The first public version of CMUD is not going to magically implement everything you have ever desired. It will take TIME to add new features, or even some features that were already in zMUD.

As other people have said: It's not like zMUD is going away. You are free to continue using zMUD until you feel that CMUD is good enough to switch to.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:28 pm   

Oh, and back to one of Vitae's questions about the default settings:

a) Unlike in zMUD, you SHOULD NOT CHANGE any of the default settings. Just add new settings to your own package and they will override the defaults.

b) If you want, you can click on your Module/Window in the settings editor and in the list of enabled packages, you can uncheck the "Default Settings" package. This will disable the default settings for your module. The list of enabled packages is the proper way to control which packages are used/inherited for which modules/windows.

c) If you *really* want to change the default settings, go to the View menu and select the "Show Default Settings" option. Then click on the Default Settings module and then select Package Properties from the Edit menu. Uncheck the "ReadOnly" option for the package. Now you can make changes to the default settings and the changes will get saved to the default.pkg file. However, this file will get overwritten when you upgrade CMUD, which is why you shouldn't change the default settings.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:56 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Other people have mentioned exchanging scripts (which is really what the shared library is meant to handle), mass editing of scripts, etc.

Why would I want to go and make public something that I just wanted to give to one person that aske for something?
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:03 pm   

Zugg wrote:
a) Unlike in zMUD, you SHOULD NOT CHANGE any of the default settings. Just add new settings to your own package and they will override the defaults.
Yeah, but adding a new setting would not work when i want to DELETE a setting. Like the keypad and diagonal dirs. Like I said, I'd rather be able to type my #'s using the keypad and not the number row. The row is much slower for me than the pad.

Zugg wrote:
b) If you want, you can click on your Module/Window in the settings editor and in the list of enabled packages, you can uncheck the "Default Settings" package. This will disable the default settings for your module. The list of enabled packages is the proper way to control which packages are used/inherited for which modules/windows.
I have a few settings that I use in EVERY mud, so having them in default would make more sense. Yes, I can just add them into every character file, i know that. But why bother when it's readily available in the default?

Zugg wrote:
c) If you *really* want to change the default settings, go to the View menu and select the "Show Default Settings" option. Then click on the Default Settings module and then select Package Properties from the Edit menu. Uncheck the "ReadOnly" option for the package. Now you can make changes to the default settings and the changes will get saved to the default.pkg file. However, this file will get overwritten when you upgrade CMUD, which is why you shouldn't change the default settings.
I swear I didn't even see that readonly option. I'll make the assumption that after I do the changes that I can toggle it BACK to read only?
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:28 pm   

Quote:
Yeah, but adding a new setting would not work when i want to DELETE a setting. Like the keypad and diagonal dirs. Like I said, I'd rather be able to type my #'s using the keypad and not the number row. The row is much slower for me than the pad.

Just like in zMUD you just need to redefine the keypad macros to send the appropriate number. Press Ctrl-K, then press the keypad key you want to define, then enter the number you want and uncheck the Send to MUD option so that the number just gets appended to the command line. Works fine.

Quote:
I have a few settings that I use in EVERY mud, so having them in default would make more sense. Yes, I can just add them into every character file, i know that. But why bother when it's readily available in the default?

This is why packages were invented. Just create your own package that redefines the keypad. Then in the Edit/Files tab for a session, add this package to the list of whats loaded. This allows you to create as many "default" or "inherited" settings as you want instead of being restricted to a single inherited file like in zMUD.

Quote:
I'll make the assumption that after I do the changes that I can toggle it BACK to read only?

Exit the settings editor and re-enter before changing it back to ReadOnly to ensure that your changes get saved.

But remember, I have made it extremely difficult to change the default settings ON PURPOSE. Please try to use stuff like packages instead since that's what they were intended for. If you start editing the Default Settings then I can't support you and you may run into trouble in the future when certain things don't work right. The Default Settings are used to initialize a lot of stuff in CMUD, and as new things are added to CMUD there will be new stuff added to the default settings. So if you are overriding them and not allowing new versions to overwrite your default.pkg file, then you could run into trouble.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:40 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Quote:

Just like in zMUD you just need to redefine the keypad macros to send the appropriate number. Press Ctrl-K, then press the keypad key you want to define, then enter the number you want and uncheck the Send to MUD option so that the number just gets appended to the command line. Works fine.
Just makes no sense to re-define the same thing for every char in every mud when just having it not there in the 1st place makes more sense. (At least to me)

Zugg wrote:
Quote:

This is why packages were invented. Just create your own package that redefines the keypad. Then in the Edit/Files tab for a session, add this package to the list of whats loaded. This allows you to create as many "default" or "inherited" settings as you want instead of being restricted to a single inherited file like in zMUD.
Kinda just gotta repeat what I said the 1st time. No need to do something when just getting rid of it in the 1st place makes more sense.

Zugg wrote:
Quote:
I'll make the assumption that after I do the changes that I can toggle it BACK to read only?

Exit the settings editor and re-enter before changing it back to ReadOnly to ensure that your changes get saved.

But remember, I have made it extremely difficult to change the default settings ON PURPOSE. Please try to use stuff like packages instead since that's what they were intended for. If you start editing the Default Settings then I can't support you and you may run into trouble in the future when certain things don't work right. The Default Settings are used to initialize a lot of stuff in CMUD, and as new things are added to CMUD there will be new stuff added to the default settings. So if you are overriding them and not allowing new versions to overwrite your default.pkg file, then you could run into trouble.
Good thought on the exiting 1st. I woulda just changed it and blamed faulty programing ;-)
I wouldn't say that it was EXTREMELY difficult...I mean, no more than just opening it with file open and changing it in there.
Which btw, if the default settings are meant to be read-only unless toggled is there a way to make the FILE read-only as well? I was able to open it, edit it and screw it up. If the file were make read-only that might also help?
With regards to packages. Since triggers work in an order, do packages do that as well? I don't think saying "order" is the word I am looking for, but like how i've seen at times someone say "Make sure that you enter this trigger 1st because if it's second it won't work" I guess a whole prioritize type of thing?...*shrug* But will packages work the same way?
Meaning if Package A has Trigger B and Package B has Trigger A...
(yeah, every time i type i make this whole damned thing more confusing....)
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:01 pm   

I think there needs to be an easy interface for overriding the defaults - eg I've been trying to create an atconnect macro in my MUD package (rather than the Default Package)... it would be nice if I could start typing on the atconnect macro that's in the default package and have it pop up saying "This is a default setting, would you like to create an override setting in your MUD's package?" instead I had to create a System class in my package, then create an atconnect alias - all manually.

Likewise for disabling specific classes, if I click the disable button on KeypadDiag then it says "This is a default setting, would you like to disable this class in your MUD's package?"

Just something to make the task a little simpler :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 am   

I'll probably add something more like that in the future. But right now things are changing too much. For example, the "atconnect" alias is going away and will be replaced by "events" and that will get rid of some system defaults. And for the keypad stuff I'll probably just add options to enable and disable the entire class since for most people you either want the keypad or you don't, so few people are going to disable a single key.

But having the keypad defaults are really no different than some of the Windows menu shortcuts. For example, if you assign a macro to Ctrl-C, it doesn't work unless the "Override Menu Shortcuts" option is turned off. So why treat the keypad any specially. Instead of being defined in the default.pkg they could just as well be keyboard shortcuts.

So yes, there are always things to do to make things simpler. But I have so many other higher priorities that you probably won't see tweaks like this for quite a while.

My feeling is that when the default settings are done properly, then you won't even know (or care) that they are there. I actually feel that the dialog in zMUD that tells you that you are overriding a default setting to be annoying and not very novice-friendly.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:08 am   

Vitae: In CMUD everything has a "priority" number that determines the order in which things are processed. Every enabled trigger from all packages are sorted based upon priority number, with the lower numbers going first. By default, priorities are multiples of 10 so there is plenty of room to put your own triggers in the right order. So this isn't confusing at all and is more like how people wanted zMUD to work.

Back to the Default Settings issue...it sounds like you really just want to disable the keypad macros. As I said, I might consider making that a preference option that is easy to change. You really don't want to completely remove the default settings, because then you are also removing stuff like the default direction settings, which would make all of your paths and speedwalking stop working. And you'd lose all of the default preference settings, so you would end up with all sorts of preferences that were set different from the "clean install" settings that other people use.

So, "getting rid of it in the 1st place" really doesn't make sense if you understand everything that the default settings really control. And again, it's trivial to create ONE package that does what you want and then include it in the list of packages that you load with your session. This is something that you set up ONCE for a character and then when you change your own common package, all of your characters see the changes. It's really not that much work and I think you are just being a bit stubborn about not learning the new package system and embracing new features that will help in the long run. Perhaps you are just frustrated by some of the rough edges of these features in the beta. But it's starting to sound a bit like the poster who just didn't want to change anything.

As far as making the file read-only, no, CMUD doesn't do that. The ReadOnly option box prevents any writing to the *.PKG database file. You can always go into Windows and make a file Read-Only yourself if you are worried about making a change. No need for CMUD to mess with that. I don't want package files to magically disappear from Windows just because a user still has the "hide readonly files" option set in Explorer.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:31 am   

Zugg wrote:
Back to the Default Settings issue...it sounds like you really just want to disable the keypad macros. As I said, I might consider making that a preference option that is easy to change.
That would be fabulous!
Zugg wrote:
You really don't want to completely remove the default settings, because then you are also removing stuff like the default direction settings, which would make all of your paths and speedwalking stop working. And you'd lose all of the default preference settings, so you would end up with all sorts of preferences that were set different from the "clean install" settings that other people use.
So, "getting rid of it in the 1st place" really doesn't make sense if you understand everything that the default settings really control.
Never said I wanted to delete everything in the default. Just the Keypad stuff and diagonals. And since your suggestion was to just write something up that would then make pressing the keypad 7 actually send a 7 rather than a NW, just delete the whole keypad stuff in the 1st place was what I meant. Why write something up when getting rid of it in the 1st place and not having an overlaying script would make more sense.
Zugg wrote:
And again, it's trivial to create ONE package that does what you want and then include it in the list of packages that you load with your session. This is something that you set up ONCE for a character and then when you change your own common package, all of your characters see the changes.
Not sure what ya mean, but is this with regards to what I said about how I have a few settings that I use in every mud and have them set in the default.mud file?
Zugg wrote:
It's really not that much work and I think you are just being a bit stubborn about not learning the new package system and embracing new features that will help in the long run. Perhaps you are just frustrated by some of the rough edges of these features in the beta. But it's starting to sound a bit like the poster who just didn't want to change anything.
As I said, I barely used cmud. I just checked a few things since I wasn't getting the answers to some questions and I raised more points to my questions (the whole viewable class script window for instance) I am sure that learning the new package system will not be hard. As far as I can tell it might not even be that different from plugins.
Zugg wrote:
As far as making the file read-only, no, CMUD doesn't do that. The ReadOnly option box prevents any writing to the *.PKG database file. You can always go into Windows and make a file Read-Only yourself if you are worried about making a change. No need for CMUD to mess with that. I don't want package files to magically disappear from Windows just because a user still has the "hide readonly files" option set in Explorer.
Understood, and I never even thought about the hide readonly files option.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:32 am   

Quote:

Just makes no sense to re-define the same thing for every char in every mud when just having it not there in the 1st place makes more sense. (At least to me)

I think you might be misunderstanding what Zugg's trying to say. You won't have to redefine it multiple times. Just redefine it one time and isolate it to its own package. Remember in ZMud in Character Preferences on the File Tab where you typed in the inherited/primary settings files? Packages are like that, except you can add as many packages as you want to each character. Therefore, you just have one package and then click the checkmark for each character and you're done.

Quote:

But will packages work the same way?

He's probably either recording package names somewhere or is simply searching for them in the CMud folders, so basically they should be loaded first-come-first-served. It really shouldn't matter, though.

Triggers actually have a priority system now, so while they might be loaded in a similar order you can change up how they execute.
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:54 pm   

Vitae I am sorry but you really should read some of zuggs other posts. I have to run to work but ill link em up later.

The defaults window was hidden after a lengthy set of posts from many of us about not wanting to see or play with it, That it just shouldnt be shown. Many of us, myself included wanted to be able to redefine the settings in there based on a package we created.

Code:

All you have to do is edit your session to include "VitaeDefaults.pkg" This allows you to have complete control over the defaults. You create a new session and then add the pkg files just like you have to do anyways. It cant know automatically which packages you are going to use for each character so adding pkg files to the sessions has to be done. As such whats the difference in adding your "Personalized Defaults File".

Well its like you are using ok i dont use the keypad thusly i dont want to have it defined as anything. why cant you just turn off the KEYPAD Class onconnect for example. Or make a defining pkg that sets them to perform no action.

Personally the stuff in default is so miniscule to me that having it there provides me with very little concern. I use most of the stuff in there and just redefine it. I did this in zmud as well so i didnt expect it to be any other way.

The priority question is a good question. I have been messing around with that in some of my scripts lately and am currenty wondering the same thing and i take zuggs answer to mean that

triggers etc are prioritized but the class folders aren't. Because that would still leave vitaes question in place.

If you have CLASS B - Priority 1
-------------------->TRIGGER A - Priority 4
CLASS A - Priority 3
-------------------->TRIGGER B - priority 2

In Zuggs context B would Fire then 2

Vitae wanted to know if Trigger A or Trigger B would fire if the classes were prioritized i think?
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:10 pm   

edb6377 wrote:

Code:

All you have to do is edit your session to include "VitaeDefaults.pkg" This allows you to have complete control over the defaults. You create a new session and then add the pkg files just like you have to do anyways. It cant know automatically which packages you are going to use for each character so adding pkg files to the sessions has to be done. As such whats the difference in adding your "Personalized Defaults File".
So rather than have defaults.pkg load up with all the info, I would attach "VitaeDefaults.pkg" to every session. Needing to remember to do that everytime I try a new mud.

edb6377 wrote:
Well its like you are using ok i dont use the keypad thusly i dont want to have it defined as anything. why cant you just turn off the KEYPAD Class onconnect for example. Or make a defining pkg that sets them to perform no action.
Is there a way to turn it off on just starting up a session? Something like an "atstartup" to go along with the atconnect, atexit and atdisconnect. Like if I haven't logged into the mud, but am typing some code in the command line that uses #'s and I use the keypad, won't that just start sending directions? Of course I wouldn't be able to EDIT atconnect, but create a whole NEW atconnect.
I am just not a fan of having multiples of the same commands.
Why have 2 atconnects when one does the job that it needs. Why even HAVE it in the defaults if you can't even change it? I have a few things on atconnect, atexit and atdisconnect, and I added straight into the defaults.mud file. I use them in all my muds, so why would I want to go and make seperate entries for every mud for it. (YES I KNOW in cmud it's a package and I need to just simply attach the package to every mud I have, including needing to remember to do it for muds that I am looking at as a curiosity. But what I have in there in my defaults.mud file is stuff that I like to have for every mud and would rather just have it load up with it if I check 10 muds in one day without the CONSTANT need to attach a file just to find out 10 mins later that the mud is not for me.
Either way, in the end it just seems like I am spinning my wheels, saying the same things OVER and OVER again because I seem to be the only one who would rather be able to have direct easy access to the default settings for me to edit as I please.
Tho since Zugg already told me what needs to be done with the whole "Uncheck the readonly box" this is becoming pointless because I CAN indeed do what I want.
I haven't really done anything at all with cmud. I don't have tons of scripts in there, I don't have packages attached, I don't have priorities set or anything. I'm just looking for some info into how everything works, and how hard it will be for me to figure out.
I've come a longer way in zmud than I EVER thought I would 2+yrs ago (July 2004) after using TinyFugue for 7yrs. But there are certain things that as far as i'm concerned are much easier a certain way.
The way *I* am understanding it so far is:
CMUD: You don't like the KeyPad, write up a package that will set the keypad to send #'s rather than directions. Which means that there will be 2 keypad settings for each # on the keypad. Want to try a mud out for 10 mins to see how it is, or to answer a question on here? Don't forget to attach the package to the session before you do!
ZMUD: File > Open > Default.mud > Highlite what I don't want and have no need for and will never use > Delete > SAVE

hrmmm...kinda like the zmud version of things better there.

But again, this whole thing is pointless since there IS a way to disable the readonly in the default.pkg. And is something that I REALLY REALLY hope will not be taken out as cmud develops.

edb6377 wrote:
The priority question is a good question. I have been messing around with that in some of my scripts lately and am currenty wondering the same thing and i take zuggs answer to mean that

triggers etc are prioritized but the class folders aren't. Because that would still leave vitaes question in place.

If you have CLASS B - Priority 1
-------------------->TRIGGER A - Priority 4
CLASS A - Priority 3
-------------------->TRIGGER B - priority 2

In Zuggs context B would Fire then 2

Vitae wanted to know if Trigger A or Trigger B would fire if the classes were prioritized i think?
I sorta meant that lets say that I have one package that has a trigger and then I have another package with another trigger that needs to go off before the 1st package's trigger goes off.
You can have multiple packages and still set which order the triggers go off in right? There is no priority to packages? Like "Make sure that whatever is in this package goes off 1st"
Which then asks if everything in Package A must go off 1st, then the trigger in Package B that must go off 1st won't happen correct?

This is pretty much becoming a whole rant for me tho..I'm thinking that I won't really bother with asking more questions about how does this work in cmud and stuff until it's out in public for a while. Then I'll give it a shot, if what I want is not easily available I'll ask then how to do it. And if I can't do it then i'll just go back to my zmud. *shrug*
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:21 pm   

Vitae, something you are forgetting again is that the Default package is *overwritten* each time you upgrade CMUD. This was also true in zMUD. So what did you do in zMUD when you upgraded and your default.mud file was overwritten? Did you restore your own backup or something? By doing this, you are not loading the latest defaults, so any changes made were not taking effect. While this might not have caused you problems in the future, it's a very bad way to handle things. All it would take is one new preference that you weren't initilializing properly (because you were using an old/modified default.mud) to mess things up. And this kind of problem would be really hard to find because everyone else would be using the proper defaults.

I think we have discussed this enough and gone around and around. In fact, the more I listen to this discussion, the more I'm thinking that I will make the Defaults completely un-editeable to avoid problems with people changing the defaults.

Creating your own Personal Defaults package as edb mentioned is *easy*. It's something that will take you 5 minutes and you only have to do it ONCE. It only adds a couple of seconds to creating a new character session, which isn't something that you would do every day. The time that you would waste in the future dealing with a bad default settings file is *way* more than the time it would take you to just do it right in the first place.

Regarding the atconnect, atstartup, etc stuff...there have been other posts about this. Those aliases are going away and will be replaced by a new "event" system that is more flexible. You won't need to redefine these aliases (and they will disappear from the defaults). So yes, it will be trivial to disable any classes you want at startup.

Edb: About the trigger priorities: Only the priorities of the TRIGGERS matter. The priority of the classes have no effect right now. CMUD only uses classes to determine which triggers might be enabled/disabled. The entire list of enabled triggers is sorted by the trigger priority number to determine execution order. Using the class priorities would involve a complex "join" query that would significantly slow down trigger processing.

Even though every setting has a priority, only triggers and buttons currently use the priority to do anything.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:33 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Vitae, something you are forgetting again is that the Default package is *overwritten* each time you upgrade CMUD. This was also true in zMUD. So what did you do in zMUD when you upgraded and your default.mud file was overwritten? Did you restore your own backup or something? By doing this, you are not loading the latest defaults, so any changes made were not taking effect. While this might not have caused you problems in the future, it's a very bad way to handle things. All it would take is one new preference that you weren't initilializing properly (because you were using an old/modified default.mud) to mess things up. And this kind of problem would be really hard to find because everyone else would be using the proper defaults.
That's what exports are for :-) I have everything exported. Upgrade, and import the old defaults (just the stuff that i needed) open the default.mud, copy and paste into default.mud, close default.mud, delete the imported ones from the mud.mud file and thats all. Kinda simple...

Zugg wrote:
I think we have discussed this enough and gone around and around. In fact, the more I listen to this discussion, the more I'm thinking that I will make the Defaults completely un-editeable to avoid problems with people changing the defaults.
Bah, I'd rather not be able to lose control over something like that. But nothing that I can do, your the creator, and I'm just the payer and what you decide to do is nothing that I can change. Kinda like in how in Windows XP they have those entire folders that are blocked to view and you can't access them...oh wait..you CAN access them via a toggle that says, "Yes, let me access this folder knowing that if I delete the Windows folder I totally F'ed the hell up"..and that's a hell of a lot worse thing to screw up on a MUCH more expensive product, than a default file which would have a backup anyway that gets created. And anyone smart enuf would know to make a PERSONAL BACKUP in case they screw it up and the cmud created backup gets screwed as well, exactly as I do, and have done since the 1st day I ever installed zmud.

Zugg wrote:
Creating your own Personal Defaults package as edb mentioned is *easy*. It's something that will take you 5 minutes and you only have to do it ONCE.
Yes, I know that I create it once, but I have to attach it to any session that I create. And since I do that several times a day at times for personal reasons, or when someone on here has a question and I'd like to help by logging into the mud...

Zugg wrote:
It only adds a couple of seconds to creating a new character session, which isn't something that you would do every day. The time that you would waste in the future dealing with a bad default settings file is *way* more than the time it would take you to just do it right in the first place.
Ah, good to know that you know my playing habits and know how often I connect to muds just to see them... Rolling Eyes

Zugg wrote:
Regarding the atconnect, atstartup, etc stuff...there have been other posts about this. Those aliases are going away and will be replaced by a new "event" system that is more flexible. You won't need to redefine these aliases (and they will disappear from the defaults). So yes, it will be trivial to disable any classes you want at startup.
Now, by "startup" are we talking about SESSION startup or when you login to the mud? Like I'd said, just cause I'm NOT connected to the mud does not mean that I don't code and use the keypad. I'd rather not have to worry that typing 12345 will wind up sending sw, s, se, w, look (or whatever 5 is set to) because then it becomes pointless to make a package to get rid of the keypad and diagonal stuff that i never use. I'd just disable the class. (rather delete the silly things in the 1st place, but oh well.)

Zugg wrote:
Edb: About the trigger priorities: Only the priorities of the TRIGGERS matter. The priority of the classes have no effect right now. CMUD only uses classes to determine which triggers might be enabled/disabled. The entire list of enabled triggers is sorted by the trigger priority number to determine execution order. Using the class priorities would involve a complex "join" query that would significantly slow down trigger processing.
Even though every setting has a priority, only triggers and buttons currently use the priority to do anything.
Good to know that all i'd need to worry about is the trigger order.

Bleh still feel like i'm spinning wheels, and sounding like a whiner and a piss and moaner.
If I feel that there is no use to have the keypad and the diagonals, and that I should have the exact same setting defaulted to any mud, no matter HOW MANY I WANT to connect to a day then I don't see why I shouldn't be able to.
Bah, said in my next to last post that I wasn't going to bother talking about this anymore, but I just feel like I'm expected to explain myself, and possibly explain what other people might be thinking. I've known plently of people that edited their default.mud file. why the hell not? *shrug*
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:10 am   

I am thoroughly disgusted by this entire thread. I was also more or less disgusted by another thread or two closely related to this topic. In all cases the threads were fueled or started by you, Mr. Vitae. I had some respect for you, but it has all been eroded. That is the extent of my personal rant; because anything further, that I actually want to say, would require me to behave as a moderator and promptly delete my post.

Change is a good thing. Most users use the numberpad for directions. It is extremely easy, and for some of us even too fast for the MUD to be happy with. I have 10 years of experience doing data entry on a 10 key device so I also understand that using the number pad for numbers is faster then the standard top row in a keyboard layout. I used to do 13K keystrokes per minute on a 10key type machine.

Zugg has expressed his concern that most users have an easy transition into CMud. This particular discussion has yet to seem to be an issue for more then ONE user, and a solution is simple. The addition of a 'personal default' package. This would be a package that is inheritted by all sessions as well, and is secondary to the actual Default package. A user could make adjustments to that personal default such as using the still to be created 'onload' event to turn off classes within the Default package. I believe this would satisfy both the concerns of the 1 without impactiing the concerns of the many, however I would also guess that implementing some such thing might be a bit low on Zugg's priority schedule.

On a more personal side to this whole issue, I always end up overriding a number of the settings in the Default package. One way or another, they are not adequate to an experienced MUDder. In most cases, the changes required are specific to a given MUD; but I always end up having to override them. Most of the time I would create my own class and use zMud's "Remove inheritted class" for the default settings. So I do really understand Vitae's request that we be able to simply disbale settings in the Default package; even though his expresion of that request has disgusted me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: