Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
AaroN RelentlesS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:38 am   

Access Violation, PLEASE help...

okay, this is my first post here, and my first major problem with zMUD, so please bear with me. while im not illiterate completely, i am just a basic zMUD user.

okay, first off, i run v7.05 out of Windows XP.
i decided to try to learn mapping today, and everything was going swimmingly for about 2 hours, then, i got into a room, no different from any of the other 900 some i had mapped, and i received "Access violation at address 004D98E4 in module 'Zmud.exe'. Read of address 0000000C". one of these windows pops up EVERY time i receive a new line on my mud. i.e. at/after every prompt. sometimes three and four at a time if some people leave/talk/enter at once or in a row. now, this ONLY happens when i have my mapper running, and in map mode. if its in follow mode, its straight. but if i put it to map mode, like 10 A.V.'s pop up at me within seconds. i can also run just zMUD without any problems, the A.V.'s only pop-up during map mode with the map on. it happened all of a sudden too. i tried walking into the next room, and the command fires, the mud goes there, but the map doesnt map. it will move around the rooms in follow mode, and even in map mode, but it wont make new rooms. im hoping this is enough information... if not, just ask and ill try and fill in with what i know. if you have any ideas please help, i REALLY like mapping and REALLY wanted to get my map done, but cant now. also, *blush* please try and put your ideas in layman's terms, or as simply as possible. like i said, im a basic user, and have no idea what an "access violation" or "null pointer" is. thanks!
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:35 pm   

In computers, a pointer is a string that says where the next bit of information is. A "null pointer" is one of the pointers that's pointing at nothing, so the program doesn't know where to go next. This is usually a memory error.

An "access violation" usually occurs when a program is trying to retrieve information that's not there (perhaps because of a null pointer), or trying to retrieve information that it lacks permission to have (some system files or similar)

In either case, it sounds like a memory error. When I get these in zMUD (which isn't often, but does happen), usually restarting zMUD, or even better, rebooting the computer fixes the problem.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:46 pm   

If a restart/reboot doesn't fix your problem, undo the last bit of mapping/settings creation that you did during that session, save settings and map, shut down and/or reboot and restart. Sometimes these problems remain after a restart because something in the settings or map gets whacked then reloaded when you open that character again.
AaroN RelentlesS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:45 am   

okay, i deleted the last zone i did completely, saved it, shut down, rebooted, ran zMUD, exact same thing. i left it out before, but whats baffling me about this, is that i didnt change/do anything, i was jus' mapping the same as i was, walking around, and it came outta nowhere. so yeah, that's where were at right now. what's next on the list to try and fix it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: