Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
millisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:46 pm   

Sort a Data Record Variable

This shouldn't be hard but I'm not finding it (trying to search on 'sort' here is near impossible).

I've got a DataRecord Variable called Score:
Bob:1
Tom:5
Joe:12
Harry:1
Dick:3

I want to sort by the Number column.

If I do a #show @scores
I get something like this:

Bob|1|Tom|5|Joe|12|Harry|1|Dick|3

%sort doesn't seem to do what I want and I'm just not finding another simple way of doing this.

What the right way to sort a datarecord by numerical values?

(er, it would appear the nickname for 'Richard' isn't allowed, heh, pretend the **** is his name)
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:51 pm   

Here is an alias that sorts a record variable by values rather than keys. It only works for record variables where the values are numbers:
#ALIAS sortval {#VARIABLE templist "";#LOOPDB %1 {#VARIABLE templist %concat( @templist, "|", %repeat( "0", 10 - %len( %val)), %val, "=", %key)};#VARIABLE templist %delete( @templist, 1, 1);#VARIABLE templist %sort( @templist);#FORALL @templist {#SHOW %concat( %copy( %i, %pos( "=", %i) + 1, %len( %i) - %pos( "=", %i) + 1), ": ", %number( %copy( %i, 1, %pos( "=", %i) - 1)))};#UNVAR templist;#GAG}

Usage:
sortval recordVariable

Example:
sortval @myRecVar

Note: If a value is longer than 10 digits, the record variable may not be sorted correctly. This can be fixed by changing the 10 in the alias to a bigger number.

Kjata
millisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:56 am   

Am going to give this a shot. As always, thanks oh' zmudmaster.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:25 pm   

I bumped this up because I need to use something similar, but after it sorts it by values, I need to place the database keys into a variable (appropriately sorted). Using the above alias, how would I change the (#show blah blah blah) part to #additem dbase? If I input it directly, it disconnects me from the MUD. :\ Thanks.

Charneus
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:19 pm   

Once the alias arrives at the #show part, it's created a list in the format val=key|val=key and sorted it. All you need to do is use %right(%i,%pos("=",%i)) or something like that to extract the key name and then add that to a separate list.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 am   

Well, tried that, but it didn't work. :\ I'll take a look deeper into it though, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Charneus

EDIT:

Actually found it...

%right( %copy( %i, %pos( "=", %i) + 1, %len( %i) - %pos( "=", %i) + 1)) works. The reason your suggestion, Fang, didn't work, is because there wasn't a number to specifiy how far back to go from the right, so it was basically capturing the whole thing. At least, that's my theory. *shrug* Thanks, though! You made it possible for me to figure it out at least. :)
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:34 am   

Try this Wink

Code:
#VAR sortvar {}
#ALIAS sortVal {#var sortvar %sort( %mss( %concat( "StrReverse(", %string( %expanddb( %1, "|")), ")"), "vbscript"), 1);
#var sortvar %mss( %concat( "StrReverse(", %string( @sortvar), ")"));
#var sortvar %subchar( @sortvar, "=|", %concat(    %char( 30),  %char( 29) )   )}

sortVal @Score
#showdb @sortvar
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm   New! and Improved????

I noticed a problem with the above alias because %sort() sorts alphanumerically it doesnt work if say you have the numbers 1 ,2 ,12
obviously 2 should come before 12 but because stringwise 12 comes before 2 it doesnt work out
so I made another alias thats a little (maybe a lot) more complicated but it will work as long as the numbers are less than 7 digits
and that number can be increased by making the %format('&7.f,%val) read %format('&12.f',%val) if for example you needed 12 digits
also this script doesn't require the use of JScript VBscript or anything except for zScript.

Code:
#CLASS {DBNumericValSort}
#ALIAS SortByVal {
  #var insort {}
  #var postsort
  #var insort %sort( %exec( "#loopdb %0 {#var insort %additem(%concat(%replace(%format('&7.f',%val),' ','0'),'=',%key),@insort)};@insort"))
  #var insort %subchar( @insort, "=|", %concat( %char( 30), %char( 29)))
  #loopdb @insort {#var postsort %addkey( @postsort, %val, %number( %key))}
  }
#VAR postsort {} {}
#VAR insort {} {}
#CLASS 0

Usage:
SortByVal @presorted where @presorted is a db variable with numerical keys as values
#showdb @postsort should show the correct results
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: