Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:01 pm   

Mapper configuration on Aetolia, how?

I have searched and came up with nothing, I need the configuration to aetolia. The autoconfiguration can't do it and I don't know how to do it manually. When I enter a room it looks like this:

Room name (always there, on top)
Description (not always there, causes problems)
You see exits leading north etc.

There are multiple rooms with the same name so its just the exits that separates them.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:14 pm   

Mapping on IRE MUDs can be quite tricky, though they have made efforts to make it easier for zMUD users. You'll need several triggers to parse and capture the room name, description, exits, etc, and use the #TAG command to mark them for the automapper. I play Achaea and not Aetolia, so I'm not sure of the differences between the two.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:46 pm   

Your statement of what rooms look like is exactly the type of thing the automapper likes to see and is happy to configure for. If you have any problems you should open the configuration window, select the Exits category. Find the option named "Exit line contains key" and check it. In the box 'Exit line key' enter "You see exit", do NOT make it "You see exits" as I recall some reports in which the 's' would not be present when only one exit exists. The key is only there to help the mapper find the line containing exit information, after that it bases matches on the direction you have named by #DIRECTION settings.

You should reconfigure after making the above change. The reconfiguration does take information in the current configuration into account. That small change will eliminate errant matches of direction in the name and description and should be enough to positively map 99% percent of the rooms on the mud. The other 1% are those that builders either got lazy on or got really creative.

All statements on my part are based on you initial vague description of room data and previous poster's statement regarding Aetolia. Feel free to search for more information in the forums, there is a handy link right in my signature.
Theragil
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:44 am   

It's worse than that, the one-exit line is "You see a single exit".
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:54 am   

Then just use either "You see" or "exit". The mappers internal triggers are only active when room data is expected and aren't very prone to spoofing.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:16 pm   

Its working pretty good now, but when I am in map mode and return to a mapped room, the mapper creates a new room on top of the old. That means I have to merge them every time, I dont know if this is a known problem, it might be.
But the real problems starts when I try to enter rooms with no description:

Room name
You see exits leading blabla

When this occurs, the mapper identifies the exits line as the room name and
everything gets messed up.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:41 am   

You won't be able to get the mapper to work 100% of the time on any mud. The mapper is looking for a specific pattern and if the mud doesn't consistantly adhere to that pattern, then the mapper isn't going to work in those instances.

'working pretty good' is about the best it will get on most muds. This still beats the heck out of paper and pencil mapping!
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:59 am   

I had many problems with the automapper, even with 7.x versions, until I setup some fancy triggers that parse the room name, description, and exits and then use the #TAG command on them. It's the only surefire way to get the mapper to recognize things.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:42 pm   

Oke, Larkin, I don't think I am capable of doing the stuff you mentioned. But at least I can live with the mapper now.
But a new problem has risen. I can't use slow walk.

When I double click one room, teh mapper moves me one room and then says
"Slow walking aborted". Safe walk is working but if the mapper misses one room, all the commands are still sent. If I understand it right, that is not the case with slow walking.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:05 pm   

Are you matching on the room name or on the first line of the room description? It typically defaults to the first line of the room description, which doesn't work well for IRE MUDs.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:42 pm   

I have changed that. It matches on room name.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:32 pm   

Larkin wrote:
I had many problems with the automapper, even with 7.x versions, until I setup some fancy triggers that parse the room name, description, and exits and then use the #TAG command on them. It's the only surefire way to get the mapper to recognize things.

I have tested Achaea and it's pretty similiar to Aetolia, I tried some "#tag-things" but they were of no use. Could you perhaps show me some examples of your triggers?

Sometimes the exits are hidden: "Unholy darkness obscures your vision", I have used that line to trigger #OK as it said in the help files.

What do I do if the mapper needs to swim to get past a river? "You will have to swim in that direction" And the syntax is SWIM <dir>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:02 pm   

#tr {^There's water ahead of you. You'll have to swim in that direction to make it} {#gag;#temp {^through.$} {#gag};#send %eval( swim %word( %nextdir, 1, "|"))}

That works 95% of the time and it automatically deals with the situation where the waters have been parted or you're flying.

I never figured out dealing with unholy darkness since I have nightsight. The fiddly details of getting things to work in the first place, I had people share their solutions with me and it didn't work, finally I got it to work but I can't even say which settings I need where to do it. I don't automap, build my maps by hand (plus a little system that captures info on the rooms into the map database, gets more info and more relevant-to-me info than the automapper) so I just worry about being able to get around and find where I need to go quickly.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:10 pm   

Thanks alot! I have nightsight too, just didn't know that it could be seen through with nightsight Very Happy

Anyway, here are some sample text on the most common "room-texts":

H:2738 M:1625 B:90% [eb]ql

Precious Treasures.
Someone's magically-preserved letter has been lost here. You see a sign here
instructing you that WARES is the command to see what is for sale.

You see exits leading south (open door) and down (closed door).
H:2738 M:1625 B:90% [eb]

And the one that is causing problems:

H:2738 M:1625 B:90% [eb]ql

Hall of the Red Dragon.
You see exits leading south and west.
H:2738 M:1625 B:90% [eb]

What triggers do I use to tag tihs information?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:56 pm   

Its been quite a while since I did this, so I may have forgotten what I had to do. But..
In the config settings, you need to try a few things. To help solve the problem with it not recognising rooms that it has already mapped, you need to:

speedwalking->match room name
config->room exits -- check in multiline exits option
config>room description -- check the "room desc changes" box
(also, later on try switching multiline description on and off.. I forget whether this one was needed or not)

Then in the room name window, check the "name ends with period" option, and also try turning the "propercase" option on, and off... see if it helps.

oh, and after config, check to make sure it detects the prompt as being "complex" (config->mud prompt). You should also use a trigger to #TAG the prompt.

When you run auto config, you need to switch verbose mode on.. you can switch it off later and that wont matter, but for the config, you need it on.

For rooms with a (road) at the end of the room name, you need to make a trigger #TR {(*). (Road)} to #TAG it as the room name... I think. I don't actually remember for sure, but I do remember having trouble with those rooms.
benny1564
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:27 pm   

I have done a trigger that activates on my prompt:
^H:(%d) M:(%d) B:(%d)(*) ~[(?)(?)~]

And it executes "#TAG prompt" but when this trigger is active, the auto config can't detect the room name...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:54 pm   

Oke, I have triggers that tag room name and room exits. They work but there are some mysterious problems with room detection.

For example; There is this room, if I enter it from the south, the mapper can't detect it i.e. not in follow mode and not in mapper mode. BUT if I enter from the nw everything works fine. And it is not just one room, What is the problem?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: