Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lenophis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:35 am   

question about zMud's requirements

I have a question regarding zMud needing at least "Power User" access in 2k/XP. I'm interested in why that high of a requirement is necessary. It seems no more like an IRC client, although I don't know how the core runs at all, so I'm probably way off in that regard.

Any details would be appreciated.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:36 pm   

A simple answer to that would probably be due to the fact that a "User" account has no write access to the "Program Files" directory.

At work we have a lot of programs that are installed for the user before hand but then the program never saves any preferences or changes that are made, the program always comes up looking like it has never been run before. Two off the top off my head are oldish version of WS_FTP and Irfan View.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:02 pm   

Taz wrote:
At work we have a lot of programs that are installed for the user before hand but then the program never saves any preferences or changes that are made, the program always comes up looking like it has never been run before.

Ahhh, I never thought about that. To counteract that I would log in the admin, make the changes necessary, save, exit, and log back into the other user. Given how often triggers and aliases can change, I suppose there's no way to work around that.

Quote:
Two off the top off my head are oldish version of WS_FTP and Irfan View.

Winamp (v5.12) and Trillian (Pro or Basic) suffer from that as well.

Thanks for the help, now I need to rethink how I'm gonna do this. Confused
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:05 pm   

When you install zMUD (using the Admin account), just install it into a "normal" directory, like C:\zMUD, instead of installing into Program Files. Then give normal user permissions to that directory and it should work fine. zMUD only needs Admin access when it is installed, and the first time it is run, in order to install the copy protection system. After that it doesn't need system access, so it should work fine.

I specifically designed zMUD *not* to use the system registry. Your settings and preferences are all stored within files within the zMUD directory itself. I never understood why Microsoft protected the Program Files area the way that it did, but installing to C:\zMUD should work instead.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:54 am   

Who ever understands why Microsoft do what they do?

You can if you want read all their info and best practices and code the way they say but watch out for them changing their minds on you!

Case in point, I put in an Exchange 2000 organisation 4 years ago the way their best practice said with front end servers in the dmz etc. Then Exchange 2003 came along and that best practice basically means that their former best practice is wrong!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: