Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg Software :: View Entry - New web development - Ruby on Rails?
Post new entry     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog Goto page Previous  1, 2
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 am   

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that it's really nice to hear from professionals on topics like this. I say, go self-publish that book already ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
SilentSeraph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:11 pm   

Haha, y'know, I'd love to publish a book about writing enterprise level software in Ruby, but I've become a traitor to the community already and have gone to .NET ;)

Perhaps when Ruby gets a bit more mainstream I'll go back, or when I finally sit down and give myself the time to work on all those startup ideas I have I'll do it full time. But for now, unfortunately, .NET has better pay and better stability.

So yeah, writing a book about all this, and working for a Microsoft/.NET shop, I'd probably be laughed off the intarwebz :)

If anyone wants, I can break the reasons down point by point about why I personally won't use Rails and love Merb, but most of the information can be found over Google and the like.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Fang Xianfu =)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm   

Thanks for posting your experiences with this. That kind of real-world information is very valuable. Performance of MyMuds is definitely more important than it is for our current forums, so I do need to think about that in the design and with what technology I choose. I'm still not going to use .NET though. I just never want to run a Windows-based server ever again. I've been personally burned by that too many times.

But I'll take a look at Merb/DataMapper. Do you have any links, or should I just Google for it?

Edited: Oh, and as Fang mentioned in the other blog thread, I've put the development of MyMuds.com on hold until I finish with some mapper stuff in CMUD, so there is plenty of time to pick a different development platform for it. I played with RoR but never wrote very much code for it, and I never got around to setting up the server runtime configuration, so I haven't wasted any time yet with mongrel, etc.
SilentSeraph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:28 pm   

Zugg,

I completely understand about .NET. I'm currently sitting behind a .NET developer on my first day at the new job (shadowing him, though he's not much of a pair programmer, I can tell, heh). I'm dying a little inside knowing that this is all so much simpler in Ruby :(

http://merbivore.com is the Merb project.
They are also on IRC on freenode.net in #merb

http://datamapper.org is the DM project.
They're also on IRC on freenode.net as well in #datamapper

There's also some pretty good tutorials floating around that you can find on both project's main websites, both of them being rather well documented. On top of that, the IRC channel is usually pretty helpful, unlike the Rails channels you'll come across.

As for getting setup, Windows Rails development is a PITA. I'd almost recommend running a Linux OS like Ubuntu where everything you need is only a couple of command line programs away.

If you need any help, shoot me a message and I'd be glad to be of assistance :)
ariesroyaal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 pm   

i've developed in rails since before it was released from beta, and currently help manage one of the largest rails based web applications in existence...

i can honestly say ruby on rails is by far one of the best web frameworks available, and anyone who has had a chance to use it would agree. there are some setbacks, but overall there isn't much that can keep up with ease of development and flexibility
ariesroyaal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:38 pm   

as for merb, its not out of beta, and no where near production ready. merb base code and convention change too quickly for it to be used in production. once they go 1.0 maybe, but they aren't quite there yet.
Post new entry   Reply to entry     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: