Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:27 am   

Alias names

Just read a reply from MattLofton about one-letter aliases, and it got me to wondering how other people feel about naming aliases.

I seldom, if ever, use one-letter aliases. I do have several two-letter ones, these are useful for commands I don't want to keep in the command history.

When selecting alias names, my primary concern is making them easy to remember. If I plan on using them in combat, speed of use is also important. I usually use three-letter names, especially for skills and spells. These do stay in the command history so they can be easily (and quickly) repeated using the up-arrow even when I've done other things.

Some of my aliases are intended to be used only by other settings (triggers, buttons, etc). For those, I usually pick fairly long, self-explanatory names. The name length doesn't really matter since I won't be typing it. If the name has more than one word, I use capital letters to mark the beginning of words (CastBotSpell). I don't use underscores, periods, dashes, or other punctuation.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts others have on this subject.

LightBulb
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:31 am   

I do roughly the same thing as yourself.

All scripted things call aliases with self explanatory names. I tend to use Do_Blah_Blah kind of format. Variables use V_Name_Here. And all of it goes into a master class folder so I can see if anything showed up by mistake in the root class folder or created folders. Mainly this is done to ensure that any bad things I write on the fly are easily hunted down.

I create temporary one or two letter aliases for pk, special case repeat action events etc. They tend to be left hand asdf kind of things so the right pinky can hit the enter key. These aliases usually do not last long though (a night to a week).

Ton Diening
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: