Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
McGravin
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:54 pm   

Alerts for a variety of messages...

The MOO I play will output to me a line telling me the approximate contents of a sector of space, and I want to be able to extract only certain items from a list of possible contents and have an alert based on that. However, my choice of which items I want it to alert me on can vary.

To give you an idea of the range of trigger lines I'm trying to capture from, the output looks like one of the following, depending on the actual contents:
The computer reports the presence of an asteroid.

The computer reports the presence of some debris and a star.
The computer reports the presence of some debris, an asteroid, and an artifact.

Sometimes I only want to be alerted to, say, artifacts. Other times I want to be alerted to, maybe, both artifacts and asteroids.

Here's how I was planning on going about it, but I need some help setting it up:
  • A button opens pick-list of all the possible contents of a sector ("some debris", "an asteroid", "a star", "an artifact"; possibly "a starship" and "a planet", although I haven't encountered either of those and don't need alerts for them so we can neglect them for now).

• The pick-list saves whichever one(s) I select to a variable list.

• A trigger reads the MOO output and, upon finding one of the items saved to my variable list, gives me a #MESSage window.

However, how can I have the pick-list to save just the selected items to a variable list?

Also, how can I get the trigger to strip a certain items from the line "The computer reports the presence of some debris, an asteroid, and an artifact." and just check "#IF %ismember(asteroid,@contents)"? Or would the trigger phrase "^The computer reports the presence of *{@contents}*.$" work?

-McGravin
Non plaudite, modo pecuniam jacite.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:35 pm   

Easy, use %pick() instead of #PICK. Since %pick() is a function, you can assign the return value (in the case of %pick() it will be text instead of a number) to a variable:

#variable answer %pick("p:prompt message","o:1","item1|item2|item3")

Just in case you don't already know, both %pick() and #PICK take three types of arguments:

p:text -- this is the prompt message you see in the popup window

o:# -- this controls selection options. o:1 will disable multiple selection, but I don't recall offhand if o:5 limits you to just 5 items.

other text -- this is considered the option choices presented to the user

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
McGravin
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:05 am   

Ah, the simple subtleties. Thanks much!

And I'm just using "^The computer reports the presence of *{@contents}*.$" for the trigger phrase, which seems to work fine.

-McGravin
Non plaudite, modo pecuniam jacite.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:32 am   

The trigger to capture the messages should be:

#TR {^The computer reports the presence of (*).$} {#VAR Contents %replace(%replace("%1","and ","|"),", ","|");#FORALL @Contents {#IF (%ismember(%trim(%i),@Warnings)) {#MESSAGE {%i detected.}}}}

I might have a typo in there. Just assign the value from the %pick to Warnings and it should work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: