Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tigger
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:00 am   

getting around firewalls

I am stuck at work and want to mud...the ports seem to be blocked. I can get out on IM's but not any mud
FriedDuck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:23 am   

I went through some of the same stuff at my previous job.

Firewalls will blockenable out stuff by port number and communication protocols, so while the ports IM may be communicating on are open within the firewall configuration ( i think IM might use UDP packets, so it is using a different protocol as well), the ports you are trying to telnet from are probably blocked. Unless you can get access to the machine which contains the firewall configuration, or askbribe your network admin to enable the specific port you use to mud with, there may not be much you can do. A lot of network admins will configure a firewall to block all ports, all protocols as a default rule, and then include the necessary business exceptions ( like basic HTTP , etc ), so that no unintended protocols and ports are enabled and cause security leaks.

You want to get the port number ( the XXXX in anymud.net XXXX ) enabled for exchanging TCPIP packets. Of course, hacking onto the firewall server might get you fired a lot quicker than mudding at work :(

Duck
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:39 pm   

Try searching for some of the older posts in the forum that talk about this. There are ways that you can connect to some server using a port that is enabled by your firewall and then make that server connect to the MUD you want. Look for older posts that talk about "tunneling" or something like that.

Kjata
Ralgha
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:41 pm   

I've never received a mangled IM, which suggests to me that they are TCP, not UDP, since UDP doesn't guarentee delivery.
Tigger
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:54 am   

the search keeps crashing on me ?
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:25 am   

What on earth is an IM?

Anyway, what you will need is a computer somewhere outside of the firewall, which pretends to be a web server by listening on port 80, but in reality forwards everything to the mud. If you have a good connection at home, you can use that. Thats what tunnelling is all about.

Lady C.

(Darker suggested PortTunnel from : www.steelbytes.com)
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:03 pm   

IM = Instant Messenger (AIM, ICQ, Microsoft Messenger, etc.)

Kjata
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:15 pm   

Aha.. you learn something new every day :)

ICQ uses (or used to use, at least) UDP.. and it managed to lose some messages, as well ;)

Lady C.
Tigger
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:55 am   

OK I have a DSL at home so a good conection....how would I set up both computers to do this? (also my home computer is behind a router if that changes anything)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:30 am   

That changes nothing in reality, but it changes it to be beyond the scope of this forum for all intents and puposes. The best I can say is look very closely at your router documention. Most allow you to assign an incoming request on a given port to be passed directly through to a given computer on that port. If you don't know what your doing and the manual/documentation doesn't make sense, then find your nearest 9 year old and have them fix it up for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: