Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:05 pm   

A request for SQL Server donations

OK, while I continue to wait on AC-Atlas2 to get their database backend working, I've been thinking more and more about just hosting my own server for all of this. That way, we'd have a fast, reliable server for AC2 maps and any other game I want to add to zExplorer.

The problem is that SQL Server is *expensive*. Even a 10-client license (I assume that means 10 simultaneous client connections) is over $2,000. On top of that, I'd need to upgrade the zuggsoft.com server from Win NT server to Windows 2000 server, which is also expensive.

So, I'm looking for options on how to go about doing this cheap. I'm already "renting" a single SQL server database in order to handle the forums on this site. This costs me about $50 a month. I supposed I could probably add an additional database, but the shared SQL Server database is slow, and I wouldn't have full control over the server.

I know this is a long shot, but if there is anyone lurking out there who might have a spare copy of SQL Server 2000 and/or Windows 2000 server laying around and would consider donating it (or selling it cheap), I'd sure appreciate it. zuggsoft.com already has plenty of spare cpu cycles to handle the SQL server software.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

wtatters
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:29 am   

Zugg,

You might want to have a look at mySQL as a cheap and effective alternative.
And last I recall it runs fine on NT and with myODBC is easy to integrate with existing .asp

and its freee ... but does take a little bit more stuffing around to get set up

PS though SQL2000 should be installed in per server not per connection mode ... that way you only need one connectione effectively since SQL2000 can make use of connection pooling with asp.

Westa

Cheers
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:30 pm   

Thanks for the note. I'm looking into both mySQL and PostgresSQL as possibilities. I wasn't aware until recently that they worked on Windows platforms.

(Yippee! I don't have to use a Microsoft solution!)

wtatters
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:02 pm   

Zugg,

If you go down the mySQL path ..have a look at mySQL Studio ... its a shareware addon for mySQL that adds a pretty good QUI front end to the server for doing maintenance.

http://www.mysqlstudio.com/shareware.php3

Features include the following:

This program lets users access local and remote MySQL databases easily. You can:
- Browse your databases
- Create and delete databases, tables, indexes and users
- Modify your data
- Create or Run SQL queries with visual query builder
- Create reports with visual report builder
- Manage user privileges
- Backup/Restore your database
- Import/Export data (support MS Excel, Doc, Pdf, html document formats)
- Schedule Backup - The new Schedule Backup feature is used to create a new schedule that will backup your data.

It also includes MySQL Launcher
- for quick, easy launching your MySQL server.

Easy-to-use database reporting tool
- Make detailed reports of your data fast and easily. Use 3-D graphical charts to make reports more intuitive to read.

Westa
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: