Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:05 am   

ZMud and Linux?

Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone tried it before? Just curious, cuz I'd love to be able to use ZMud when I'm on my linux partition!
Evangelist
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:15 am   

use telnet or get an emulator

Evangelist/Pernius
www.phidar.com/phidar.html
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:36 am   

*sigh* The point is that I want to use ZMud. I know about telnet, but thanks.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:20 pm   

A quick Search (link at top of page) for keyword "linux" gave 11 topics. You'd probably find
Zmud - Linux
Running zMUD 6.16 in Linux using Wine/WineX
to be the most pertinent.

LightBulb
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:41 pm   

Duh! I didn't even think of using the search function. Thanks LightBulb. I guess I'll just play with it a little, and let you guys know what happens.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:55 pm   

Based on information found at CodeWeavers, it appears that there is nothing specific to zmud itself that prevents it from being used in the latest versions of Wine. However, the eLicense licensing controls that Zugg uses fail to work in Wine, so the result is that versions of zmud up to maybe 6.16 work (or whenever Zugg went to eLicense), but after that will fail.
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:58 am   

Well, most of the information I've found says that it will work under Wine. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be using Wine.

I plan to be using Mandrake Linux and the X Windowing System.
Klaymen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:49 pm   

Wine is just a program for your Linux system (stands for WINdows Emulator). You can use it with any distribution. You will probably have to check the package list, but I'm pretty sure that Mandrake comes with a Wine RPM.

Incidently, Mandrake 9.0 has just been released. Haven't tried it myself, but I hear it's very cool.
snoogans
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:33 am   

actually, wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator :) Just thought i would let you guys know :) and i havent had any good experiences running 6.16 in linux except with vmware, but all the scrolling text makes it soooo slow. Right now im working on getting an old p200 system running with 98 and i will just vnc to it or something. Hope that gives you an idea :)
Kilian
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:14 pm   

If you need any help getting it running, I can probably offer some. First thing I would say is install both wine and winex so you have a broad range of native dll's to choose from. I ran zMUD on linux fine for 90 days but now it's having an issue with renewing my license, gonna try reinstalling and see how that goes...

~Kil

--------------------------------------------
All that glitters has a high refractive index.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:49 am   

Can you please define what you mean with 'fine'? And which version you used? I had a 6.16 running with elicense etc. but it had problems opening extra windows like the settings editor..

Lady C.
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:31 am   

I'm not sure which version of Wine or WineX I need to get. I'm running Mandrake 8.0... heh, does that help?
Kilian
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:39 pm   

By 'fine' I mean, I can run everything, no crashes, no problems, no bugs... it actually runs faster and better then it did on windows. The only 'quirk' I've found to date is that while the mapper opens and works, automapping doesn't. For some reason, it has problems getting the information from the main window to the mapper. And actually, my issue with re-licensing turned out not to be a zMUD problem, or an e-license one, but rather an issue with how I had compiled my kernel. Apparently e-license isn't big on memory core trampolining ;p

I'm using zMUD 6.16, wine 20020904-r1, and winex 20020807-r1. (The downloadable winex, I don't have a license from transgaming, as I refuse to support software that steals from free projects). I can definately recommend not using Mandrake RPM's, but getting a source or CVS version of wine.

~Kil

Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:11 pm   

Hmm, interesting :) I also am using WineX from the cvs server, last update August 9th.
Are you using it with an installed windows from another partition, or just plain Wine?

Out of interest, have you tried to install mdac etc. on your wine, for the newer zMUD betas? (or at all?) I guess I'm going to have to use a real windows partition for that..

Lady C.

PS: undergod, go to transgaming.com and follow the instructions to download the latest version from the cvs.
Kilian
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:32 pm   

1) No, no installed windows partition. That's dirty. Bad bad.

2) Haven't gotten MDAC itself to install yet, but there is a workaround. You can install IE 5+ or MS Office with the codeweavers crossover plugin, and this gets MDAC installed as part of the process. I'm still testing a few things though, I suspect I may be able to get MDAC working... I'll keep you posted.

I keep promising people I'm going to get around to a zMUD on linux tutorial, but I want to wait until I know if I can get the latest versions running, and see if I can get the automapper to work. Cross your fingers and stuff.

~Kil

Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:33 am   

Hmhmhm..
A tutorial would be a nice idea..

Hmm, have to take a look at the crossover stuff.. Have you got any other 'extras' installed?

*crosses fingers, toes and eyes* :)

Lady C.
Kilian
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:02 am   

Ok, so, here's the story.

I know you haven't heard from me in some months, but I've been very very busy with some other projects.

I have zMUD 6.40 running successfully on wine now. Still working out some issues with the editor and the automapper, but I hope to have that fixed shortly.

A tutorial is coming. I hope to have it completed some time in the next 4 weeks.

~Kil

Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:40 am   

Very interested in anything you come up with. been wanting to put linux on a small parition, but without zmud ability, I wouldn't be in linux very often ;)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:03 am   

If you actually get something working reliably and write an article on this, I'd be happy to host it in the Support Library on this site.

But I'll probably wait until the next public version is done in a few weeks so that you can play with that. Should be almost the same as v6.40, but it does use a couple different ADO functions.

wilh
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:57 am   

Whatever happend to that project where you were considering porting zMUD to Linux? I presume that's gone by the wayside...

Wil

Wil Hunt
Ralgha
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:03 am   

Mandrake 9.0 was released months ago, not just recently. They're into the first release candidate of 9.1 right now.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:27 am   

Hoooray, the tutorial..
*waits impatiently* :)

The plan to port to linux died. Kylix isnt compatible enough, and zMUD is using a few 3rd party bits (like the roll-up windows etc.) which would also need to be supported.

The consensus was that there wouldnt be enough *paying* linux users to justify the cost of the port.

Lady C.
Samson
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:33 pm   

That would be because those of us who mud while in Linux have found better ways to waste 5 months of our time.... using http://www.kmuddy.host.sk/ Kmuddy instead. Why bother with wrestling Wine into submission when there's a perfectly good NATIVE application that handles the job?

[url][/url]
Ralgha
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:08 am   

Because KMuddy is a KDE app, and there are many who think that K sucks.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:13 am   

I dont know what time wasting has got to do with it.. (been doing that on muds for nearly 10 years now..)

Anyway, its irrelevant to the topic. Yes, there are other clients, we're all aware of that, but this was about getting zMUD to run on linux, regardless of other solutions.

Lady C.
*without KDE*
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: