Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:22 am   

Resource leak in shape and bitmap editors

Basically, I've found that anytime you change anything in these editors, resources will leak away.

For example, go into the shape editor and select the 'Line' button. After you create the first point, you must choose a second point. As you move the mouse around, system resources go down steadily(move in wild circles while the line follows the pointer to illustrate better).

The leak applies to pretty much everything, including creating the other objects(aside from Line), selecting objects, as well as changes to properties that affect the object's appearance.

For the Bitmap editor, changing the colors of the image causes the leaks.

Nezic

I'm running zMapper 1.10a
Win98SE
128mb ram
800mhz cpu
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:28 am   

I couldn't note any leaks on my system with those procedures.

zMapper 1.10a
Win2K Pro
Ati Radeon 7200
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:03 pm   

That is because you can't, Vijilante. Only Windows 95, 98 and ME have the stupid limit of 128K for system resources. Other versions have unlimited resources and are managed a lot better than the above versions.

Kjata
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:52 pm   

Yes, 2K does manage resources better, but I also can readily get a report on usage for each active program. So I can sit there moving things around and see that nothing new is being used.

In either case this may narrow Zuggs search to replicate the problem to only his 98 box, which saves him time and frustration, and that is a beta testers job.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:56 am   

Heh, sorry man. I know you are just trying to help. I'm sure it is really appreciated by Zugg.

I just wanted to point out that monitoring resource leaks with non 95, 98 and ME Windows versions is hard. I had Windows 98 in my at home computer until recently and I was having preblems with a resource leak on an earlier version of zMapper. I upgraded Windows some time later and I didn't get the error anymore, but I tried to see if resources were still leaking and I couldn't.

Anyway, just sharing my findings, just like your are. Keep up the good work.

Kjata
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:37 am   

Just bumping this to the top (seems that it was missed the first time around).

Nezic
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:39 am   

I guess it might be helpful to mention that the problem actually does still exist in 1.14:)

Nezic
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:54 pm   

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem when I ran my resource leak tester, so nothing was changed in v1.14.

Since the shape editor uses the Windows graphics API for metafiles extensively, I suggest you try to update your video card drivers to their latest version and make sure you have all of the service packs for your version of Windows installed.

Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:03 am   

I checked to be sure, and found that I do have the latest drivers for my video card as well as all of the updates for Win98 SE.

If it is something specific to my computer, I have no idea what it could be(I have a pretty basic setup).

Does anyone else notice this leaking on the same version of windows that I have? I haven't seen this kind of behavior with any other program (even tried the image editor for Borland C++ Builder).

Nezic

zMapper 1.14
800mhz athlon
128mb ram
geforce1 w/32mb DDR
Win98SE with all updates
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: