Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
DarKarvin
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:49 pm   

Zmud Ver. 3.62 on XP

While trying to help a new mudder I thought it would be helpful for them to start with the older version, But I can't seem to run it on XP (new system) just to check if my trigs/stuff will work on it for them.

Error: Can't run 16-bit windows program ( itried running in 95 and 98 compat mode, but no change)
Cannot find file, check that path and filename are correct, and all required libraries are available, except that I'm not sure what library it might be looking for.

Any help ould be appreciated until I get them up to speed with zmud and the new versions

Dar'Karvin Drakkar
Adventure's Unlimited
au.betterbox.net:5000
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:40 pm   

As you have noted, the free version available here is not compatible with Windows XP.

However, since all 3.62a's, including the 32-bit version, are freeware (zMUD became a shareware application at version 4.1, good piece of trivia there), you can legally download the free version elsewhere: for example, here.

However, note that Zuggsoft cannot take any responsibility for the authenticity of files hosted on 3rd-party sites. In any case, this falls under the purview of "FREE, UNSUPPORTED" software.

- Charbal
DarKarvin
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:56 pm   

I just don't want a new mudder "Overwhelmed" with all the features of ver 6+
Uhm..she needs a little more easing into it, and thinks zmud is great, don't worry, she'll be running ver 6+ soon enough..i just dunno why it won't run, i just need to check the stuff i'm going to send.

Dar'Karvin Drakkar
Adventure's Unlimited
au.betterbox.net:5000
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:20 am   

It won't run because Windows XP doesn't run any 16-bit apps at all.. (As far as I know..)

Lady C.
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:38 pm   

XP does have some support for 16-bit applications (I still have a very select few) but that support is nowhere near full.

It uses the "Windows on Windows" subsystem to run 16-bit programs. It appears as wowexec in the list of running processes.

This knowledge base article gives some information on troubleshooting 16-bit programs in XP but I'd recommend just using the 32-bit version.

- Charbal
doomfyre
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:03 pm   

I agree. All those extra confusing features will lie quietly in the background until she's ready for them. It's not like they will get in the way, and secondly, it will save her from having to update and have possible migration troubles, etc.

My 2 cents
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: