Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
madoc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:31 pm   

Windows XP settings not saveing

Was using a very very old version of zmud, it never gave me trouble before, but suddenly settings wouldnt save, when i tried to close zmud errors about not being able to save settings, if i specified where to save it it was fine. so i figure, well ive been using this ver for 4 years and ive heard good things about 6, so i downloaded and installed 6 fresh, no restoreing of old settings, different dir, works fine for a day, next day everytime i startup zmud complains about corrupted settings files, i really like this new ver and would like to get the problem sorted out so i can use it. I ve been running XP since release and its never given me serious problems (2-3 week uptimes rock) but zmud suddenly wont cooperate, zugg really dosnt seem to like xp so i figured id ask if anyone ever had this problem/found a solution

System:
WindowsXP (this is why i didnt post this in bug reports :) )
NTFS partition (the problem? )
Fresh install to clean partition about 2 months ago
900mhz Celeron, 40gig 5400prm hd
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:43 pm   

quote:

Was using a very very old version of zmud, it never gave me trouble before, but suddenly settings wouldnt save, when i tried to close zmud errors about not being able to save settings, if i specified where to save it it was fine. so i figure, well ive been using this ver for 4 years and ive heard good things about 6, so i downloaded and installed 6 fresh, no restoreing of old settings, different dir, works fine for a day, next day everytime i startup zmud complains about corrupted settings files, i really like this new ver and would like to get the problem sorted out so i can use it. I ve been running XP since release and its never given me serious problems (2-3 week uptimes rock) but zmud suddenly wont cooperate, zugg really dosnt seem to like xp so i figured id ask if anyone ever had this problem/found a solution

System:
WindowsXP (this is why i didnt post this in bug reports :) )
NTFS partition (the problem? )
Fresh install to clean partition about 2 months ago
900mhz Celeron, 40gig 5400prm hd

Did you run your settings file through the Migration Guide process? A very old version of zmud is likely to have a lot of bugs that end up messing up user files.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
madoc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:50 am   

What im saying is im not even using my old settings file, was clean install of zmud to an entierly dif directory
Murdlih
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:41 pm   

I am having a very similar problem. I just installed the newest version of Zmud onto an XP machine, and then tried to copy my settings from a 98 computer onto this XP MAchine and it gave me a corrupted settings message. On my home computer I have the latest version of Zmud as well.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:37 am   

quote:

I am having a very similar problem. I just installed the newest version of Zmud onto an XP machine, and then tried to copy my settings from a 98 computer onto this XP MAchine and it gave me a corrupted settings message. On my home computer I have the latest version of Zmud as well.

You can use the Migration Guide to fix this, unless the corruption is too widespread. In that case, you need to start from scratch.

Madoc, what EXACTLY was shown to you? A message box of some kind (ie, Invalid Character), or an Access Violation box with a near-meaningless memory address? I've never had any serious problems with ZMud 6.xx concerning XP, but there were all sorts of little corruption issues. These could generally be fixed by a reinstall (clean or otherwise) or by the Migration Guide

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: