Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sda
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:16 pm   

Matching @ in triggers

v6.16

I wish to capture a block of text which often contains the @ character. However, when my trigger fires, if the line contains an @ it will only match the text up to the @ character. Eg:<br>
Trigger pattern: (*)

29 @*$ Some Player 16 @ Another Player 1 and another

Will only match 29 and the following space, but if the first @ didn't exist it would match up to 16 and the following space.

I need to capture all the lines (about 10) and then parse them. Is there a way I can do this without capturing to a file?

Thanks,
Steve
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:35 pm   

Use %* instead of *. %* matches zMUD's special characters like @ and ;

However, you must be careful and think thouroughly how you use whatever you capture with %* because if other players can make your trigger fire, they can make your zMUD do stuff. Example:
#TRIGGER {Here you see: (%*).} {#VAR line {%1}}

and then some player in the MUD does:
Player tells you 'Here you see: };remove all;drop all;quit.'

Your trigger will match this and when %1 is expanded inside the variable, the variable gets closed ("}") and then you will remove all, drop all, and quit.

So, when using %*, always anchor your triggers (use ^ to match the beginning of a line and $ to match the end) and think hard about possible ways it could be exploited.

Kjata
sda
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:19 pm   

Thank you, it works a treat.

Incidentally, the ^ char for beginning a line is fine, but when I add $ it stops working. As this trigger is only used for a nanosecond when I activate it manually I don't think it can be abused but I am interested in what you say about closing the variable with } automatically.

Thanks,
Steve :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: