Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:12 am   

Zone Names

How about we have the option to turn zone names off?

The problem is that when you have several adjacent rooms that all have an exit in the same direction that points to another room in some other zone (whew, hope that is clear), each link has the name of the zone and it looks ugly (and unreadable) when they all overlap. So, maybe there could be an option to turn off the display of the zone name for a particular link so that we could perhaps create a label with the name of the zone across all the links instead of in each one.

Kjata
dacheeba
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:03 am   

Along the same lines, I'd like the labels to have a 'focus', so that only the last used(traveled through in Zmud, or edited) link's label got displayed.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:58 pm   

The zone name is probably fairly easy to turn on or off, so I'll add that to the to-do list.

Dacheeba, I don't know what you are asking for. Currently, link labels are only displayed when the link line itself is turned off. This is useful for "long distance" links where each end of the link is labelled with something, like "A", or whatever. Right now when you select a link, it is highlighted in red. I don't really know what you mean by "have a focus".

dacheeba
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:50 pm   

quote:

Dacheeba, I don't know what you are asking for. Currently, link labels are only displayed when the link line itself is turned off. This is useful for "long distance" links where each end of the link is labelled with something, like "A", or whatever. Right now when you select a link, it is highlighted in red. I don't really know what you mean by "have a focus".

Hmmm. Well, in the mud I play there are several 'portal' rooms throughout the mud, with anywhere from 3-15 portals that all lead to different zones.So as Kjata was saying, in a situation like this it gets really messy.However, I wouldnt want to turn off ALL the link labels(bad short term memory).So what I was trying to say is that it would be nice if I came to this portal room and the link that last had the 'focus'(IE was travelled though or edited}, had its label displayed, while all the others were gagged.

But all-in-all, I guess it would be much to do for nothing. I would probably be the only one who would appreciate it, and most would probably be happy just to be able to turn them all off. The way things are going, I'll probably stop mudding soon anyhow().
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:54 pm   

Yeah, there is really no way to store that kind of "state" information into the mapper. What I might do, however, is make the zone links and "other" links so that when you hover your mouse over them, then it displays the name of the exit, but otherwise doesn't show them on the map. Then you'd be able to query the links by move the mouse over them without messing up the rooms all around it on the map.

Zafrusteria
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:47 am   

As this thread is about the text attached to a link to a different zone, I 'll put my question in here.

When you have a room with portals as Dacheeba has, the text with them gets all scrunched up and is unreadable. Is it possible to extend the link with a longer line? So you can have the names formatted and therefore they can all be read. At the moment if you have a link north and another link up to different zones you cannot read either as they partically overwrite each other. I have never found a way to extend the line between the little square at the end where the text is and the room itself.

Zaf
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: