Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
wilh
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:58 am   

zMud Map File Data Format

Zugg,

Would you consider releasing the format used for the maps created in zMud? What I have in mind is a web-friendly Java-based viewer applet that will allow zMud users to share their maps in a little more detail than the current bitmaps that I'm seeing would allow.

Thank you in advance for any insight in this matter.

Wil

Wil Hunt
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:10 pm   

Best advice...wait for the next public version. The mapper is currently going through an upgrade in the betas. All of its data will be available in a standard db format.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:01 am   

If you want, take a look at the new zMapper product. You can use the included zsConvert program to convert your existing zMUD *.zzz and *.map maps files into the new database format. Then you can use zMapper to export your map data to a variety of custom formats (including XML, which would be perfect for the Java web app you describe).

I'll eventually have full documentation of the map database as part of the zMapper documentation.

Also, keep an eye on the zMapper product progress. A version is planned in a month or two that will already be web-enabled to allow people to share MUD maps across the Internet. So, you might not need your Java app

wilh
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:11 am   

Thanks. Just to clarify... Will I need the zMapper program in order to do these file conversion and web-enablement or will that be functinality shared with zMud?

Wil

Wil Hunt
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:17 pm   

The next public version of zMUD (the current beta already has it) will have the ability to do the conversion. However, if you want the export feauture Zugg was talking about, you need to purchase zMapper. Also, like Zugg said, zMapper will have in the future, capabilities to share maps across the Internet.

In my opinion, zMapper is a great purchase for anyone that currently use the zMUD mapper (although you should know that zMUD will never loose this functionality) and for many other people too. You might want to try looking at some of the past posts in the zMapper Forum to learn more about what this program can do for you.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: