Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Reddytedy
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:47 am   

Connection to MUD when Behind Firewall ?

Without doing some hacking of the system to break through the firewall the only other way is to get IT to open the port.
Alan
quote:

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how i can connect to a remove MUD server with ZMud, when the IP address of the MUD has been blocked by the Technical Manager with a Firewall (WatchGuard FireBox II)

I am trying to connect to Nanvaent.org (IP: 195.40.6.44) but cannot connect via Telnet/Java or Good old Zmud (using Version 6.26a)

Is there anyway around this

Thanks

Paul Govier
reivog@lycos.co.uk

Come play with us in Dragonrealms

http://www.play.net/dr
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:06 pm   

If only the IP of the mud you want to reach has been blocked, you can 'go around', by using zMUD to connect to another remote shell account, and then using that shell's telnet command to reach your mud.

If they've blocked the port, you might try a port redirector piece of software.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
Jaerin
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:15 pm   

You still could use a port redirector, but it would involve setting up a proxy on another machine outside of the network like at home if you have a persistent connection. For example on the machine at home setup a port redirector on port 21(FTP) to redirect to the MUD IP on the proper port number. Then all you would have to do is telent to port 21 on your home machine and you will actually get bounced to the MUD. I used to do this at one place I worked at. Be careful though, if the Technical Manager blocked it in the first place then they probably don't want you to connect to it and you could lose your job. I've even heard of a couple rare cases where people have been involved in lawsuits. Hell a manager that installed Seti@home on a couple work machines was charged with like 8 counts of computer fraud and 1 count of theft of computer equipment.

Jaerin
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: