Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
nwyllie
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:03 pm   

Attracting new MUD players

OK, I'm not sure this belongs here, but there is no "general" forum for ZuggSoft as a whole, and this seemed the most likely alternative.

I just read Zugg's 2002 New Year's letter, specifically the State of the Gaming Industry section. I think there are some good observations there. Zugg expresses what I've felt, and in much better terms than I could, and I think for those who love MUDing as much as I do (and you probably wouldn't be here if you didn't) it's worth a read if you haven't already.

I've long suspected that the eye-candy type games would generate more of a draw from most younger players because it involves less imagination to look at a picture than to read text and form a mental image. For the most part I think the younger generation is very visual oriented. My intent is not to put anyone down here, the statement is a generalization and based upon my observations and what I read in the media, so please don't flame me on this. In fact, you this offends you then I probably haven't communicated my point very well. The point I'm trying to make is I think it takes a special kind of person to really appreciate the depth of a well constructed text based game, and the plethora of options presented. Too many people don't give themselves the chance to join this special group because perhaps they see text based games as "old" technology. Again, I think they are more interested in the eye-candy then the content. I think this is evident when you look at many of the commercial games today in that a lot of effort is put into the "movies" that play, perhaps at the games opening or when certain events occur. I know I turn these off after looking at them once or twice.

Now for the point I am REALLY trying to get to. I agree with Zugg that we need to find ways to entice new players to give MUDs a try. I liked his suggestions for "spreading the word" concerning MUDs in his letter. I'm sure there are more ideas on how to accomplish this. If anyone has good ones I hope they will post them here. One argument that came to mind is that MUDs offer one thing that a commercial game probably never will; the possibility of joining the design staff. I did this on a MUD about a year ago, having had no previous experience in coding for MUDs. Although being a programmer by profession helped, I still had much to learn since I never coded in any C-like language, nor worked with objects. And even though my area has not been finished I am thrilled to think that someday it will become part of the world I'd played in for years.
Tiamat@CthulhuMUD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:54 am   

At least there's one good thing about flashier graphics-based games getting more attention: generally, the gamers with the shortest attention spans, least patience, most closed minds, and least mature behaviour and outlook generally gravitate towards the games with the pretty pictures. In short, antisocial jerks and semi-literate trolls :) Sure, a few of them still make their way toward MUDs (MUSH's etc.), but as someone who's also played games like Diablo online, I can assure you that whereas this tends to be the exception rather than the rule for MUDs, the exact opposite seems to be true for more "video game" type games... it seemed to me like 4 out of 5 players in graphics-based games could only find enjoyment in making everyone else as miserable as possible or in finding new ways of cheating, rather than in doing anything constructive.

So, yes, I'd love to see more good MUD players, but I'd really rather not bring in the arcade game crowd, if you know what I mean :) "...it takes a special kind of person to really appreciate the depth of a well constructed text based game..." - I think there are a lot more people out there who can appreciate it than we realize, but maybe we've not been looking for them in the right places. Maybe consider some people who enjoy reading a variety of different kinds of books, or writers and poets? At its best, creating and enjoying a MUD is an artform, and few artforms are as interactive and flexible as MUDing, and the sort of people who can appreciate that are the ones who are most likely to get a lot from this sort of game, and the ones most likely to be able to put a lot into it.

BTW, where can I find a link to that New Year's letter? I've not seen it, and I'd love to read it.
nwyllie
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:04 am   

The "New Years Letter" is linked from the ZuggSoft home page, Jan 8th I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: