Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Cartan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:08 am   

Make a script to send instant messages? (w/ COM)

So how's this for a cool little project?

I play on a MUD that has artifacts that give special powers, and one of them lets you type thirdeye to see where everybody on the MUD is. I want to be able to automatically send the output of this command to my friend via an AOL Instant Messenger session.

I don't have any problem capturing the output and whatnot, but I'm kind of out of my depth in the COM programming. Could someone at least give me a few pointers about how to go about this?

Basically all I need to do is enter the contents of a variable inside the text box of another window, and send it (you can send via typing enter, or clicking a button).

Any pointers? (or code? ;)

Thanks in advance for anything you can contribute!

-- Dave
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:36 pm   

This sounds a lot easier than it might be. In reality, it shouldn't be too hard provided two things:
  • You can find the documentation on the COM implementation of AIM somewhere

• The COM implementation of AIM has a way of letting you do this

• The hardest part is the first one. You need to search for some documentation that explains all of the functions and properites the COM implementation of AIM exposes. Since not every software creator is as nice as Zugg by posting an easy to find documentation about COM in the webpage, then this could get difficult.

The second part is just hoping that they did implement somehting like this. However, if you can find the COM implementation for AIM, it should be no problem since it would be logical that they provide a way to send an Instant Message using it.

Kjata
    Cartan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:44 am   

quote:

This sounds a lot easier than it might be. In reality, it shouldn't be too hard provided two things:
  • You can find the documentation on the COM implementation of AIM somewhere

• Yeah, therein lies the rub. AOL isn't really the nicest, most open software developer around. Sure, there's lots of documentation on the protocol, but that sure won't help me much. I haven't been able to find any COM docs so far.

Hrmmm.

-- Dave
    Lirril
    Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:59 pm   

This is what the zChat plugin is made for.

- Lir

Battle as Gladiators in RomanArena, a play by email game.
    TonDiening
    GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:04 pm   

From the news you can see that AOL's product will not be an easy feat to link into.

zChat is a viable more secure option but there is another that might be used that
    is less secure:

mIRC interface by Sinrae

You could modify that to send messages to a IRC channel which your friends could watch.

TonDiening
    Beta Upgrading to 6.26
    Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: