Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
OggTheGorillaEmperor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:34 am   

Zmud freezes when switching to settings editor

Anyone know what might cause it or how can I get rid of this nuisance?

When I press any of the buttons from Zmud menu that open up the editor, or switch to a editor that is already open, the editor window appears, but doesn't show any settings at all and freezes completely right afterwards. In fact, it locks up entire Windows so good that a hardware reset is the only way to get things working again.
It doesn't occur every time, but often enough to make using settings editor quite impossible when in middle of something (in other words, when I need to fix a faulty trigger or make a new one in middle of a party). And it seems that it never happens when not connected to a mud.

Zmud version is 6.16.
And if that would be a relevant bit of info, I'm using it on Win98SE.

Sorry for the long-winded description.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:27 pm   

Get rid of Windows98.

Windows9x has a ridiculous limit built in so that no matter how much RAM your computer has, Windows only uses 128k of memory for system resources. The behavior you're seeing sounds just like a system resources issue.

To get around it, upgrade to Windows 2000 or Win XP. If that's not a comfortable option, try running zMUD without anything else running. Close ICQ, Netscape, AOL IM, IE, and everything else you can.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
OggTheGorillaEmperor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:49 pm   

Damn. I thought of that myself too, but I was hoping that it would be a way around it.
Problem is, that I cannot afford to upgrade, as I'd have to get a new hard drive as well.
So I'm doomed to suffer all the fine design issues my Win98 has..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: