Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
lblaszczyk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:42 pm   

Substitute Speed

I remember reading somewhere that substitutes are among the slowest things for zMud to process. Is this true or am I thinking of some other client? What I am attempting to do is modify an old WinTin AutoJoining Script to zMud. The WinTin script had LOTS of Subs for combat, making them look like "HIT: You :: obliterate Tarrasque -!!" and such. But maybe I have to rework all this if it will be too slow.

Also, would it be faster to make one long trigger or several ones with a list broken up. for Example:

#trigger {^{@Friends} {hit|pounds|obliterates|hits very hard|massacres}*} {Join %2}

OR:
#trigger {^{@Friends} {hit|pounds|obliterates|hits very hard|massacres}*} {Join %2}
#trigger {^{@Friends} {hits very hard|massacres}*} {Join %2}

This is assuming I will have a much longer list than just this example. Will it be faster broken apart?

--Thank you
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:09 am   

I don't think it'd be faster broken apart, but I'm not 100% sure. What you can do is have 2 variables, a Friends variable and a HitTypes variable. That way, you don't have to worry about the actual trigger, just the variables associated with that trigger:

#var Friends {Bill|Sue|Bob|Jane}
#var HitTypes {hit|pounds|obliterates}

trigger {^{@Friends} {@HitTypes}*} {Join %2}

I am also unsure of the processing time for substitutions in zMUD as I don't do much of that. I'm thinking if WinTin could process it w/o any considerable slowdown, then zMUD can do it as well *shrug*. If you're up to timing the responsiveness of zMUD and substitution, I for one would be interested in your results. :)

Iljhar
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: