Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:40 pm   

eLicense hassles

Is there any chance of getting a less draconian version of eLiecense for registered users? Ever since the switch to the new system I've had nothing but problems with it :(

Their software seems incapable of getting through my companies firewall (when everything things like icq, irc etc have no problems). This means every 90 days I have to email them to request a manual registration and wait a few days for them to email me back. The email normally has just the instruction for getting a manual registration, which I already know, and not the code itself, which I have to wait a few more days for. On average I have to wait a week to be re-activated. I understand time zones slow this process down, but it is still very frustrating.

My current problem is that my system clock got set forward a year by accident. When i returned it to the right year eLicense freaked and insists I put the clock back to the 'right' time. There is a button that I can "verify time" with, but of course because it can't access the net it just crashes.

I've tried emailing eLicense support of course, and started by explaining my entire situation. They replied by resetting all 3 of my activations and said to try again - even though I'm not getting to the activation bit. I mailed them again explaining I was stuck at the verify time option, so they told me to try to click the verify time button :p Well duh that hadn't occurred to me! Now awaiting the next stunning piece of advice.

I feel that zmud is the best mud client out there, but all of this hassle with eLicense is making me consider trying the other ones. It chafes most keenly that I can't use software that I've paid for :(
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:03 am   

Unfortunately, stuff like eLicense is here to stay and will probably only get worse, not better. Look at Windows XP for example.

On the time issue, after clicking the Verify Time button (and making sure the clock and date are set correctly), you then need to reboot to force Windows to properly save the change. Then it should work fine.

And yes, if you are behind a firewall, you need to click the Proxy button and enter your firewall info there. The newer (beta) versions of zMUD don't even support the "manual" license generation method any more since hackers were taking advantage of that. So, without getting through your firewall, you aren't going to be able to use it.

On the positive side, eLicense is working on revamping their code to handle firewalls better. But that will take a couple of months at least.

Yes, unfortunately in this day and age of terrorists and software pirates, it ends up having a negative impact on honest hard working people. That's just the way the world is. I can wish for a world without software pirates, but it's just not going to happen. Given that reality, using a system like eLicense is the only way for me to stay in business. So, it's either use a system like eLicense, or stop working on zMUD altogether, and most zMUD users are willing to put up with eLicense in order to continue getting new versions and new features.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: