PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:24 am   

#MATH is depreciated you can just use () to eval

try

$AABB = (100/50)

#SHOW $AABB
Pauley
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:34 am   

I cannot get #MATH to work, curious as to what I'm doing wrong.

I have a spell's duration which is 2 times your current wisdom + 200 (so the total = X seconds)

I made a trigger to capture my wisdom in the @WIS variable
then I made a IWDUR variable (the spells duration) which contains this:

#MATH (200+@WIS+@WIS)

Let us say for this example that my wisdom is 150, so that the WIS variable is 150 - the math becomes 200+150+150=500 seconds duration

However, when I type #SHOW @IWDUR, the output in the mud is this:

"#MATH (200+150 +150 )"

So it is not doing math on it at all..
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:37 pm   

No, #MATH doesn't do math in cMud - it isn't actually a command any more, so the parser is treating it as just a string of text. It is expanding your variables, but not doing anything with them as the expression is considered a line of text.

Get rid of the #MATH command and just leave the expression (200+@WIS+@WIS) and it should evaluate it.

ETA: It is still in the list of commands, so it *SHOULD* work, but it doesn't seem to in your example and isn't needed in any case, so just leave it off.
Pauley
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:50 am   

mikeC130 wrote:
No, #MATH doesn't do math in cMud - it isn't actually a command any more, so the parser is treating it as just a string of text. It is expanding your variables, but not doing anything with them as the expression is considered a line of text.

Get rid of the #MATH command and just leave the expression (200+@WIS+@WIS) and it should evaluate it.

ETA: It is still in the list of commands, so it *SHOULD* work, but it doesn't seem to in your example and isn't needed in any case, so just leave it off.

Trying this with #ECHO or #SHOW @IWDUR (expecting the final result "500" to be displayed on screen) I find that it still yields "200 150 150" in the mud window

The variable IWDUR contains only this phrase "(200+@WIS+@WIS)" and for some reason refuses to process it in any other way than as just plain text to be displayed in the mud window

Quite possibly i have implemented this in the wrong way

Edit1:

If i type "#SHOW (2+2)" it displays "4"
If I type "#SHOW (200+150+150)" it displays "500"

but here comes the snag, when i type "#SHOW (200+@WIS+@WIS)" it displays "200 150 150"

Edit2:

"#MATH TEST (@WIS+@WIS)" yields "150 150" when I type"#SHOW @TEST" while:
"#MATH TEST {@WIS+@WIS}" yields "150 + 150" when I type"#SHOW @TEST"

How confusing that it doesn't want to compute it, it just displays the numbers as they are

Edit3:

Also trying "#MATH TEST (@WIS*2)" yields "0" with "#SHOW @TEST" - so it's clearly doing something to it, but it fumbles and returns 0
Pauley
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:54 pm   

Big oooof

The problem was that the trigger capturing my wisdom also captured one blankspace :3

Works as it should now

Edit:
Changed a %1 to "%s(%n)%s" in the capture trigger to avoid getting the blankspace in the variable, this fixed the problem
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:43 pm   

The #MATH command has been officially deprecated and made redundant, any equation in parentheses will try to evaluate itself, use nested parenthesis when you need to force order of operations.

using %1 as a wildcard is bad form to begin with, that is a captured variable reference
if you just want a numeric value use the %d wildcard, %n is specifically for signed +/- numbers.

P.S. %trim will remove trailing spaces from both sides
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:38 am   

shalimar wrote:
The #MATH command has been officially deprecated and made redundant, any equation in parentheses will try to evaluate itself, use nested parenthesis when you need to force order of operations.

using %1 as a wildcard is bad form to begin with, that is a captured variable reference
if you just want a numeric value use the %d wildcard, %n is specifically for signed +/- numbers.

P.S. %trim will remove trailing spaces from both sides

Thank you for the advice, I'm struggling a bit with navigating all the different stuff and what would be best to use (and there's so much to sift through)
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:10 am   

General speaking, there is no real 'best' way to do things, just a bunch of tools in the toolbox

The #HELP command can be used with any command or function to read the help files

#HELP #MATH
#HELP %clip
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:22 pm   

shalimar wrote:
General speaking, there is no real 'best' way to do things, just a bunch of tools in the toolbox

The #HELP command can be used with any command or function to read the help files

#HELP #MATH
#HELP %clip

Oh wow, that's incredibly helpful, I spent hours yesterday looking through pages full of commands and all kinds of stuff just trying to find a list of %d, %n, %1, etc to see all my options and what their definitions are
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:37 pm   

There is a link to all the wildcard characters in #HELP #TRIGGER
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: