Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:14 pm   

[Bug v3.34] Importing zMUD MUD file and disabled settings get enabled in CMUD

OK, so I'm having a further attempt at migrating from zMUD to CMUD. I immediately notice that my clock isn't working properly, but now I've also noticed that all the classes, triggers and aliases, etc., I had disabled in zMUD are enabled in CMUD (except if the class was set to "Disable class when connecting to a MUD", which is not the case for me in most cases, and would only apply to classes and not other settings in any case). Is there any solution for this import problem, other than manually going through all my settings one by one and checking which ones need to be disabled and unticking the Enabled checkbox in CMUD? (Maybe, if I can sort this issue, my clock and other issues may be resolved.)

P.S. I have a lot of settings, and often I disabled broken ones or ones I didn't need anymore, rather than deleting them!

Last edited by Seb on Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:35 pm   

perhaps delete all the broken/unneeded stuff prior to converting
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:39 pm   

shalimar wrote:
perhaps delete all the broken/unneeded stuff prior to converting

Well OK, I deleted a few things, set lots of classes to Disable upon connect, and some old/WIP type settings into new disabled-upon-connect classes, and I guess that may have resolved that in a way. Although I noticed that if I export a ZSC file from zMUD, it does have the disabled triggers with a disable flag, so the CMUD import is not using ZSC as a go-between. Classes can also get a disable flag in the ZSC script, although I'm unclear as to whether that means currently-disabled or disable-upon-connect. Anyway, no matter. I see that aliases do not have a disable flag in the ZSC format, so there's clearly some stuff that was never added to that format.
My clock still doesn't work reliably in CMUD, so I wanted to try importing the ZSC file in case that worked better, but I see zMUD exports comments I have where I used a semi-colon and they fail to parse correctly when sending the commands from the CMUD Editor, so that only semi-worked with loads of errors. Oh, I've just found the Action, Execute Script function, so I tried that too in a blank session, but that only imported aliases and variables that were in the top-level class and not the rest. So it looks like the native .mud file conversion is the best of a rather bad lot of import methods. (I didn't notice the .mud file conversion not working properly in CMUD 1.x and 2.x though, so I might test that.) Meanwhile, the hunt for a fix for my game-clock will continue... I had hoped it would be fixed in the one of CMUD v3 versions as I was fairly sure it was a weird CMUD variable or division bug (e.g. 'Fixed bug with 64-bit division when using variables' in v3.17). Anyway, that will be something for another thread...
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:46 pm   

Seb wrote:
(I didn't notice the .mud file conversion not working properly in CMUD 1.x and 2.x though, so I might test that.)

Yes, I've just (re-)tested (as I was a CMUD Beta tester for v1 and v2) importing a zMUD .mud file using CMUD Pro 2.37 and it converts the .mud file much better, not enabling stuff (triggers AND aliases at least) that was disabled in the original! So, that's a new bug that exists since that version (in CMUDPro v3.34 at least).
Good to know for anyone trying like me to migrate from zMUD to CMUD. Migrate first to CMUD v2, and then to v3.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:09 pm   

(FYI, my .pkg file that gets created from the CMUD v2 .mud import is 2,004 KB instead of 743 KB from the CMUD v3 direct .mud import, but then if I open the v2 pkg file in CMUD v3, it gets converted again and is just 520 KB. Not sure if that tells us anything.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: