Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bigglesbee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:48 pm   

Centralized aliases, triggers, variables?

Hey guys, thinking of making the switch over from a different client because that client can't (easily?) do what I'm trying, so I'm wondering if cMUD can.

I want to make a centralized alias, trigger, variable, script, etc list where:
  1. Each separate character profile uses those centralized lists, so that
  2. Whenever I update anything in the centralized lists, it takes for each character profile using it, without having to individually update each character profile's lists.

So, for example, I'd make a single new alias to drink water in the centralized list, but then my 20 different character profiles that use said centralized list can now use that new alias to drink water, without having to copy that alias over to 20 different profiles. Can cMUD easily do this?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:08 pm   

This is quite easy to do with a shared package.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:12 pm   

I tend to name each session for the character rather then the game name.
You can make a new package from the file menu of the settings editor. This one cane me named for the game.
Then, without logging in to each character you would want to edit each of their individual sessions, switch over to the package tab, and click on the plus button to locate the shared package and add it to the list of packages each one loads up.
You can also make a shared package for the various guilds, assuming you have multiple characters in a given guild. If not, just put those settings in the appropriate character package.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:19 pm   

Hey, thanks for the response.

Can I edit the shared package to, for example, change an alias, then that alias will be updated for all the character profiles without having to reload the shared package for each individual character profile? Like, I'd want to only ever have to edit the one main shared package and have all the other character profiles automatically update to the shared package's settings. I wouldn't want to have to uninstall/reinstall the package every time I make a change.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:39 pm   

That will depend on whether the individual character sessions are currently loaded into memory.
If they are, they would need to be reloaded to retrieve the updated information.
No need to reinstall them though.

Ideally, you would only want one instance loaded into memory at the editing time to prevent the autosave on session close from overwriting an unedited version after saving the edited version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:30 pm   

Okay that would definitely work for me, just closing the character profile and opening it up again to update the shared package. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: