Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
billydabutcha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:03 pm   

Problem with SE/SW/NE/NW Directions in Map

I'm presently having an issue with my map in CMUD, that doesn't seem to be from something I've tweaked or modified. Last night I was in my Mud, using the map, all directions working appropriately as I moved around. Hibernated my computer, went to bed, came on this morning, and now things are broken. I don't discount that maybe something I did broke it - I have been making some changes lately - but as I said... All seemed to work fine last evening.

What I'm experiencing is that if I either #WALK between rooms, or double click a room on the map to speedwalk there, the SE/SW/NE/NW directions are not correctly being replaced by their map macros as documented in the info about speedwalking where it notes that l/k/j/h are used as shorthand for the longer se/sw/ne/nw two character directions in speedwalking paths.

So if I speedwalk somewhere right now, the current result is something like:

l
l
k
s
s
k
s
k
open door
s

Has anyone experienced this happening, and if so, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:30 pm   

My first thought is to simply restart CMUD if not reboot completely and see if the issue persists.
My next thought is that you somehow disabled one of the default packages running in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:46 pm   

Yes, tried the restart / reboot, was my first thought as well.

Was coming back to provide an update that I had worked around it, but I'm keeping the other Session around in case anyone has ideas, as I'd like to try and "fix" it, just in case this happens again (both for the forum's sake, and for my own knowledge.)

So the update being...

1. Another weird thing I noticed. I have a command that uses gmcp data in the background that syncs my position on the map.. Essentially this, that fires every X seconds in an *x alarm:

#teleport %gmcp.Room.Info.Id

Whatever was going on also broke that. Me moving around on my map by typing the direction rather than speedwalking, the CMUD map was not updating my location correctly.

2. As far as how I worked around it... I went to my old standby when something goes "this wrong" with CMUD: I exported my triggers/aliases/etc via XML, took a copy of the DBM file for the map, created a new session, placed the DBM file copy in the new session folder and renamed it for the new session, then imported my XML into the new session. After doing this, the map worked fine.

That seems to be my tried and true way to work around any of these serious breaking issues. It's the main reason any time I make any serious update to my triggers, etc. I perform an XML backup.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:16 pm   

Yea, that was going to be my next suggestion, only you took it a step further than you needed to.
Should it happen again just delete the current session.pkg file and it will recreate the next time you open that session, and you import as you have been.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: