Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
rusty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:52 pm   

Plans for cmud?

Hi there, are there any plans to keep updating cmud or release a new version? 30$ for software that has not been touched in 10 years seems very excessive considering there are modern, actively maintained open source, cross-platform projects out there. I wanted to buy it as I heard the mapper is good, but I don't want to spend that much money on a potentially obsolete software.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:02 pm   

It's a finished product.
Luckily, Mudding itself is ancient technology and there are no new advancements to need to contend with.
It is still cheaper than a new console game, and you will likely get more hours of use out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:30 pm   

It being cheaper than a console game is no argument for a 10+ year old software that has equally potent opensource alternatives. I'd gladly buy it because I have fond memories of zmud from 15+ years ago, but the price is the same as it was at launch, back when there weren't that many alternatives on the market.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:57 pm   

Pretty sure all the non-mobile options (the mobile ones don't even compete really) were already a thing back then.
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:06 am   

This has also been one of my biggest bugbears with this software. Coupled with the fact the only time one hears from development central is when an issue with licences (money) is raised.

You are correct in that other clients with similar, and usually, more comprehensive features and support, exist.

Cmud scripting is different, in some places, from zmud. The mapper is the same, but the database module is seriously broken. There are also issues with windows 'randomly' disappearing: primarily mapper and/or room properties. Things that, in any regular place where full price was being charged for a product out of development for 10 years, would have been remedied.

It doesn't bode well for any good will for a tool/software when the 'owners' only appear like slum landlords when money is directly the issue.
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:31 am   

...and I forgot, when the layout goes tits up (and it will) it really f*cks everything up.

Currently, my main window has disappeared, buttons are now everywhere and nothing is available. Once this happens, one has to make a new session and import everything back in.

Shall I make a support ticket? What's the point, neither of the folk who take your money give a flying fart.

Seriously, zuggfart, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH WORK I HAVE LOST!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: