Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Thorr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:11 am   

Having trouble with mapper

Good evening,

Sorry in advance for any newbie mistakes I have made throughout my testing.

I play a MUD with what I would assume are pretty standard room exits and description formatting, but I have not been able to get the mapper working for the life of me.

I have tried triggering exits manually and manually setting my prompt, or simplifying my prompt to single word to avoid any confusion, all without any positive results.

Here is a basic room description. I have created a basic Prompt for testing

This is an elbow in the tunnel. A bit of light sneaks
through some cracks in the walls, allowing you to see fairly
well. The squeaking is quite loud here. To the east it looks
as though the tunnel comes to an end.
The only obvious exits are east and south.
A large bat [2]
Test>

#TRIGGER {^Test>} {#TAG prompt}
#TRIGGER {The only obvious exits are *.} {#TAG exit}
#TRIGGER {The only obvious exit is *.} {#TAG exit}

When I reconfigure the mapper, it sees the exits and description and properly colors them, however the exits are never added to the room, and nothing happens when moving to another room.

What are the next steps for troubleshooting this? Can I see what CMUD is picking up for prompt and exits and figure out why it is not adding them to the room properties?

Thanks in advance.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:42 pm   

The best time to see what CMUD is trying to do when mapping is via the configuration wizard.

You do need to put the map into mapping mode for it to even try to make new rooms (the button on the map with the pencil).

You can also combine your exit #TAG triggers like so:

#TR {obvious exit} {#TAG exit}

Sometimes less is more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 am   

Thanks for your help Shalimar!

Looks like I made a little progress.

I am able to create 2 rooms and gather the descriptions for both rooms into the room properties, but the exits do not populate.
When in follow mode, it does not realize what room I am until I manually use the Find button then it moves the indicator the proper room.

I made the trigger adjustment you recommended and from the reconfigure screen it appears to be picking up the exits properly.

When I reload the room info using the Look button, the Reload Exits checkmark never disppears from the room properties dialogue box.
This leads me to believe that it is not properly adding the room exits for some reason.

I have uploaded a few screenshots for clarity.
https://imgur.com/a/DqiaihY

What should I try next?

Thanks
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 pm   

The reload stuff only works when in Mapping mode.

I think part of the issue stems from the fact that your MUD seems to eschew the use of Room Names.
Though that should not be a complete dealbreaker.

Were those rooms made by the wizard?
Or are you manually creating these rooms then hitting the #LOOK button?

Using the wizard should populate everything.
Remember to reconfigure the map after making any changes to your mapping triggers.

Once the wizard is fully populating things, you should be able to walk around in map mode and have it create fully formed rooms with no added effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:43 pm   

Yes, there are no consistent room names or room numbers at all. Unique identification is extrapolated from the room description.

I created both of these rooms and then manually hit the #LOOK buton.

After creating an entire new Map database and running the reconfigure, it did create the first room.
Once I move to another room, the current position indicator does not change, and it overwrites the description for the 1 room that exists on the map.

No additional rooms are created.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:55 pm   

Oka, I have an idea.
On your 'obvious exits' trigger, add a new line with #OK then reconfigure the mapper and see if that works.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm   

Still doesnt seem to be setting the exits in the room properties.

From the spreadsheet view, I can see that the additional rooms are created, but they do not appear on the map or get properly linked together (Im guessing because the exits are the most important detail to create the map layout)
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:10 pm   

Very odd...

Are your rooms all stacked up?
Put the map into mapping mode and try to drag the rooms around to see if they are underneath.

It is entirely possible that your map somehow got corrupted.
Try moving the current map file (or renaming it) then create a new map and see if you still have trouble.

The layout is more determined by the direction command you entered to cause room creation and/or manual manipulation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 pm   

The rooms are all stacked up! I did not realize this was happening but you are totally correct.

I have tried typing the direction and using the numpad with the same results, rooms end up stacked and never link based on the directions I am using

Moved all the existing maps and related files to another folder, same result after the database gets recreated.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm   

I'm, not quite sure what the issue is, you can laboriously fix things manually, but that is a horrible suggestion.

Rehab seems to be the resident map expert, maybe he can chime in.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm   

Hm. odd. Does the mud use standard movement commands: n, e, sw, etc.?

Have you defined or altered any direction settings in Cmud? You can't usually see them. To look at the direction settings (if you have any), open the Package Editor, and click View > Show > Directions. The Value of each direction setting determines which mud commands count as movement on the mapper. If the movement commands you are using in the mud aren't listed in the direction settings, the mapper doesn't know what direction to create the new room. That might result in the stacking you are seeing. I think Cmud understands the normal cardinal directions by default.
Thorr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 pm   

This mud does use the standard movement commands. I have tried the short names as well as the full long names.
Also tried using the numpad, which does work for movement but mapping does not pick it up.

Checked for Direction settings, have not manually specified any and I dont see any in the settings.
Thorr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 am   

Happy to supply some credentials and connection details for my MUD if you wanted to test this on your side.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 pm   

If you don't have them loaded, try loading the English Keypad and English Directions packages. They should contain the default values for standard compass directions.
Thorr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 am   

Sorry for the delay in updating this post, been really busy.

I was missing the English Directions package and once this was added, the mapper starting working properly!!!

The only thing I could not find in the documentation was how to add a custom direction. For example frequently, there is a custom direction such as 'stairs' or 'ledge' to exit a room.
I dont mind manually programming these in, but have not been able to save a custom room exit direction.

If this is documented please point me in that direction and I can take a look.

Thanks again!!!
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:39 am   

Just add a new link and set it to 'other' direction. IN the 'name' field add your exit. Eg., climb rope, jump roof, or walk dog, etc
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:43 pm   

I tend to assign these exits to one of the cardinal directions not being used in that room, just so I can continue using the numpad to navigate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 am   

This has been working perfectly Shalimar, thanks for all your help guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: