Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
oogatron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 pm   

Out of memory when loading map (windows 10)

I've recently moved my windows installation from 7 to 10.
Since then, the cmud map file for Elephant Mud I've spent over a decade making - over 250k rooms, all coloured, named etc - now throws an 'out of memory' error while loading and is completely unusable.
This didn't occur in 7. It doesn't occur when I run Cmud in Linux with Wine.
I've opened the exact same copy of the same map file in Wine that errors in Windows 10, so I'm certain that the issue is not with the map file.
I've tried every compatibility mode, back to 95.
The map file is approx 400mb (yes really). My system has 16gb of memory and process inspection shows Cmud never uses more than 1.6gb thereof, even when there are several more GB free and unused.

I'm really keen to find a fix for this. I pretty much no longer play the Mud I've loved for 20 years, because having lost the product of so much hard work is hugely demoralising.
I'd be incredibly grateful for any input, from either the community or developer!

Image of error report and stack trace here.
https://imgur.com/vwAu2dD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:53 pm   

Sounds almost like a corruption issue:

Have you tried reinstalling CMUD?
Did you ever right-click on CMUD and 'run as administrator'?
Did you ever run your map through the Map Conversion Tool (in the CMUD Beta Forums)? If not, convert to a zMUD map. then back to a CMUD map.

One of those SHOULD resolve this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:39 pm   

shalimar wrote:
Sounds almost like a corruption issue:

Have you tried reinstalling CMUD?
Did you ever right-click on CMUD and 'run as administrator'?
Did you ever run your map through the Map Conversion Tool (in the CMUD Beta Forums)? If not, convert to a zMUD map. then back to a CMUD map.

One of those SHOULD resolve this issue.

Hi Shalmar, thanks for getting back to me.
Uninstalled and reinstalled 3.34.
I've tried to open a 6 month old back up of the map file.
I've run the map file through the repair utility.
I've installed an older version of cmud that still used the zmud map format, converted my map to the appropriate format and tried to open it.
In all the above cases I still run into the same error on w10, even with the old version of cmud and my map in zmud format.

When I reboot my computer in Linux and run cmud in Wine, I point it at the exact same map file on my windows partition that crashes my windows cmud installation, and it opens fine - I take this to be a pretty good indicator that the map file isn't corrupted.

I'm really at my wits and here.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:33 pm   

Do you get the same issue in a w10 session where the map file is smaller/non-existant?
Have you tried making a new session, so you have no triggers and just the old map?

It sounds to me like windows itself is having an issue with accessing the size of the map database.
It is a 64-bit version that known how to make use of all the memory you have provided, no?

Looking at the image you provided, it sounds more like a Windows 8 Machine (according to build 9200), but that should still run CMUD fine.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:34 pm   

You could be low on memory in Windows for a couple reasons. First being that you have a large number of processes running and are low on virtual memory. You could check and if necessary increase the size of your virtual memory (https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx).

Alternatively, the following website (https://documentswindows10.com/out-of-memory/) suggests modifying the registry to increase the "desktop heap" size. The heap may be exhausted even if you have physical or virtual memory available, as it is a specifically-allocated pool.

Mike
AncientFurry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:04 am   

mikeC130 wrote:
You could be low on memory in Windows for a couple reasons. First being that you have a large number of processes running and are low on virtual memory. You could check and if necessary increase the size of your virtual memory (https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx).

Alternatively, the following website (https://documentswindows10.com/out-of-memory/) suggests modifying the registry to increase the "desktop heap" size. The heap may be exhausted even if you have physical or virtual memory available, as it is a specifically-allocated pool.

Mike

Thank you for this post...

Just what I needed, worked a treat, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: