Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:56 pm   

Mapper and Database

I tried creating a database (GUI) and, using the mapper, tried to add room contents.

Nothing added. I tried with follow mode and mapper mode but nothing added to the room contents.

Any suggestions?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:17 am   

The mapper needs to be configured before it will work.
In the map window, under the config menu, reconfigure.
That will at least get you started, odds are you may have to make some triggers to help it if your game displays rooms unusually.
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am   

That makes no sense. According to Room properties in mapper:

I select ROOM CONTENTS icon (looks like a DB icon). It opens database.

I select a record and from the database menu I select ACTIONS and ADD TO ROOM. Nothing adds to room. I had no probems with ZMUD and adding room contents.

I identify items from shops and want to add them to the room contents, or to search for items and (I would expect) to be able to walk to the right room/shop to get them.

I am sure I mentioned this to the developer but they just ignored the issue.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:48 pm   

Oh, that database, I misunderstood, I thought you meant the map itself.
I couldn't tell you as I never use that database myself.

CMUD has not been developed in several years, so you likely mentioned it too late.
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:46 am   

I did message devs regarding this. I read in these forums that all tech questions are responded to.

They are not. It is not just "how do I do x, y or z. These are huge flaws that definitely affect how I use the client.

Currently, I have given up searching for rooms - a necessary thing as aardwolf has regular mob-killing quests, both single character and mass player ones - unless it is absolutely necessary. I spend a lot of time visually searching the map for rooms because every time I use the 'find room' search for a room, the client enters utterly, extreme lag mode.

Also fortunately, aardwolf has the ability to search for potions and some equipment which provides a result of general area. I'd prefer to use the built-in database but this is not possible as it it utterly useless. How it used to be fine in ZMUD but is now unuseable in cMUD must be down to the change in engine used.

Toward the end of the year I plan on upgrading to a spiffy 12-core Ryzen and will see how that deals with cMUD lag. That is of no help to the useless equipment/item database function.
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 am   

I tried recreating an equipment database. It has just one record. There is no way on the green earth that I can attach records to a room. I even tried manually adding the room number to a room field. It is, therefore, of extremely limited use. Do we get a discount for having broken software?

It is a shame because zMUD just worked. Mapper had better reliability and room detection, database worked, never had lag with room searches. Going from 'z' to 'c' definitely seems like a step backward vis. overall functionality.
PhilipNorris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm   

hpoonis2010 wrote:
I did message devs regarding this. I read in these forums that all tech questions are responded to.

They are not. It is not just "how do I do x, y or z. These are huge flaws that definitely affect how I use the client.

Currently, I have given up searching for rooms - a necessary thing as aardwolf has regular mob-killing quests, both single character and mass player ones - unless it is absolutely necessary. I spend a lot of time visually searching the map for rooms because every time I use the 'find room' search for a room, the client enters utterly, extreme lag mode.

Also fortunately, aardwolf has the ability to search for potions and some equipment which provides a result of general area. I'd prefer to use the built-in database but this is not possible as it it utterly useless. How it used to be fine in ZMUD but is now unuseable in cMUD must be down to the change in engine used.

Toward the end of the year I plan on upgrading to a spiffy 12-core Ryzen and will see how that deals with cMUD lag. That is of no help to the useless equipment/item database function.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: