Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
coyo7e

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 pm   

Using MUD/Class specific settings, AND character-specific settings?

I've been trying to get CMud working similar to how I used to have things in ZMud years ago and I'm considering purchasing the application however, I've been stumped on a few things, one of the biggest of which is figuring out how to have settings which I can import and export for use on multiple sessions.

I'd ideally like to have three tiers of settings for MUD, Character_class, character_name, say, but whenever I try to import and export or open packages things get quickly hairy and hard to debug - because CMud is apparently really really HORRIBLY terrible at dealing with closing tabs and it gives a fatal error 4 out of 5 times when I forget and try to close an unnecessary session tab.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 am   

I am not sure where you are getting the "fatal error" so I can't offer too much help with that problem.

CMud has a very robust system for setting independence -/- interdependence. You can place your general MUD settings in a package that is used by many different sessions and characters. Similarly, use a distinct shared package for your Character_class settings. The specific character settings would be unique to each session. The package system was both hotly debated and massively tested. It is designed to be easy to use without difficult debugging questions even when foreign packages are grabbed from the package library. If you can explain your problems in greater detail I may be able to help.
coyo7e

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm   

Cool thanks! I'd be happy enough with just figuring out how to make a package for mud settings and then have each character rely on that package, while also having their own custom settings.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 am   

well, you start off with making a character package (default package name, is the session name, which is usually the MUD name, Use your character name instead).
then you make another package to house those things likely to be shared between characters. (file menu in the setting editor)
then you edit your character session (from the session selection screen) and make sure to add your new package (on the packages tab).

then, when you make a new character session, you repeat the steps to include the shared package
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: