Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
k_starling Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:43 pm
If Cmud is no longer being developed...
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm   

To what end? The only reason the third party libraries were ever brought up here is because that's what preventing CMUD from being open sourced (as well as them just not wanting to, I guess).
apfinger
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:06 am   

I believe their high costs were a reason for not being able to lower the price of Cmud. I could be wrong.
ilhares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:26 pm   

shalimar wrote:
The docking engine is one of them i think.
I thought one of the big issues was the fact it was coded in perl (I forget why).

Then the fact it expects a dated Windows environment as it stands.
I have not heard of any mobile emulators.
Does it even run in Windows 8?
Aren't they about to release 9?

I've been running it with (almost) no problems on Windows 8.1, and it works just as well as it did for me when I was using Vista. The only problem I have is that it can't properly open URLs. I've checked the associations to make sure they're all correct (everything HTM-like is tied to my browser), but it wants to open up in my copy of UltraEdit (with a bad path) for some reason. That's an annoyance, but it's pretty trivial. Everything else has been pretty slick.
gamblejay
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 am   

From a business standpoint... wouldn't of turning the use of cmud into a membership made more sense? Pay for the console then pay for a membership, most of us have been playing for years and years, if a $10 membership a month, which in some states is about a pack of smokes... most would be willing to keep supporting Zugg. 100 people at $10 a membership is $1000 and a lot more then 100 people use Cmud, this would allow for the drop in the purchasing price of cmud as well. This would of made more sense to me and I think you would of found, least I'm hoping that you would of found a lot of support from those of us who have been around for quite some time in both Mudding and Zmud/Cmud. I get that $1000-$2000 a month may not of been "ideal" but there is also the untapped potential of catering to the blind players as well, TONS and even more coming every day turn to MUDs as a source of gaming. Not to mention you still have hundreds of thousands of people who still roleplay on websites and forums that have no idea what a MUD even is. I think there is a lot that could of been done to generate income between cmud and the MUD community.

I dont know if any of these ideas were even thought of, maybe Zugg did try them. I'd just hate to see something that even years after the updates, still remains hands down the best client to use fall into the background.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:47 am   

For what it's worth, I would be interested in seeing an update from Zugg, who hasn't posted here in nearly three years. When he first got his new job and CMUD updates stopped, this is what he had to say:

Quote:
What does this all mean for Zugg Software? Well, as I've said, I haven't been spending full-time on CMUD for several years now. As MUD sales have declined I have had to spend more time on other activities to pay the bills. From failed software projects such as zApp and Tessh to playing around with mobile phone apps to developing Drupal web sites for local businesses. So working for Phase2 will just be more of the same as far as time away from CMUD.

In fact, working full-time for Phase2 should actually benefit CMUD in the long run since I no longer need to completely rely on CMUD sales to pay the bills. That removes a lot of stress and allows me to do MUDding for FUN again instead of a job. I can focus on the fun parts of the software rather than worrying about which changes make the best business sense.

[...]

Most importantly, Zugg Software is not closing or going out of business. It's just going back to more of a hobby like it was when I first wrote zMUD 15 years ago. I worked full-time at Los Alamos National Laboratory for the first 4 years of zMUD. And some people would argue that it was the best time I spent on zMUD. As long as people keep playing MUDs and want a full-featured client, I'll keep working on CMUD. I'll only stop if people stop playing. So keep telling your friends about CMUD. The more people who use it, the more motivated I am to keep working on it.

Then a year later, still with no updates, his stance had changed to this:

Quote:
A year ago I had just moved and thought I'd eventually have more free time to keep working on CMUD. Today I find that I have very little free time and what little free time I have I want to spend with my family and not slaving away over a piece of software that few people pay for anymore.

It took so long for me to post here because even now I'm not sure what will happen in the future. Maybe I'll still do some bug fixes. Who knows?

[...]

I never expected to make millions from CMUD. All I asked is that I make enough to pay the bills. That stopped 6 years ago and yet I still continued. I think I've poured enough of my life into this at this point. Sure, people will be frustrated no matter what I do in the future. But life moves on.

(Quotes from http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=168565#168565 and http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=172038#172038)

There's a bunch of things that are contradictory here. "As long as people keep playing MUDs and want a full-featured client, I'll keep working on CMUD." That's obviously still the case. These forums are still active, threads like this one specifically are a good indication that people are still interested in CMUD updates. There were even still bug reports and feature requests being posted for years after CMUD stopped being updated.

You said you could "focus on the fun parts of the software rather than worrying about which changes make the best business sense." I think that would be ideal for everyone involved. In the following year, how did that turn into people expecting you to be "slaving away over a piece of software that few people pay for anymore." ? No one is expecting that of you, and I don't think anyone ever did. Additionally, if few people were paying for it anymore 3 years ago, why is Chiara saying earlier in this thread that "CMUD still makes a significant enough contribution to our income that we aren't ready to let it go." ?

Basically, has anything changed in the last few years? Is it entirely a lost cause at this point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: