Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Revik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 pm   

CMud screwing up keyboard

Hi all, I've been doing a fresh install of CMud, system restore, and just all sorts of things but everytime I start up CMud and login to a mud and type something in it always inputs something other then what I want. Not all letters are affected. For example l would output look and J would output 145.

Also this remapping carries over to other programs so if I'm talking to my friend on Steam it carries over to steam and I can't type properly because the keys are remapped somehow. Im assuming its a registry problem but I"m not sure. Can I get some ideas of how to fix this?
Revik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm   

My OS is windows 7 and im installing cmud 334 if that helps.
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 am   

Well, apart from the fact that you're having it carry over to other programs, it sounds like you've created macros of the "append to command" type by accident. I've seen people who are used to some other program regularly create aliases by mistake using keyboard shortcuts, and imagine the same could occur with macros.

Another possibility is that you've got the keyboard defaulting to something other than standard US keyboard in CMUD (although outputting "look" makes that possibility much less likely). To test, try hitting ALT+SHIFT (must be left-alt+left-shift) when your keyboard goes funky, and see if that switches it back (hopefully that didn't change between windows vista and 7). If that does the trick, I suggest looking up how to add/remove alternate keyboard layouts and getting rid of the superfluous one.

Another question, are you using a full sized keyboard with a number pad? Some laptop/tablet type keyboards without a number pad have keys that can function as a number pad either when activated (with something akin to a numlock) or when pressing a function key. The letter i doesn't seem to me to be a likely candidate to take the place of the numpad 5, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Anyway, strange things are occasionally done by hardware manufacturers when implementing alternate key functionalities, so if you're seeing a bunch of keys in the same general zone (like your examples, i and j) then that's probably the source of the problem.

A bit more information could be useful. Does this occur as soon as you've opened CMUD, but before you've opened any sessions? If not, does it occur after you open a session? Any session? Does the undesirable output go to the command line? Or is it sent directly to the mud?
Revik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 pm   

It goes straight to the mud, numlock is OFF when this happens. I tried the left shift+alt shift already and that didn't work. Also it's any MUD i try to connect to, I can input the names of the mud into the appropriate fields but the minute it tries to connect is when things go all wonky. If someone teamviews in they can use CMud fine without the issue I'm having.
Revik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:52 pm   

I'd also like to mention that CMud was working fine before a factory reset of the machine. I'm pretty sure all the drivers were reinstalled so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.
Revik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:51 am   

So there was an active numlock in General Options that I've never noticed before, that was checked, that was why it was goofing up. Why is that even defaulted on?
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:12 am   

I'd guess because of the standard numpad direction buttons package included with CMUD. Glad you got it sorted!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm   

It's defaulted on because ZMud/CMud was primarily written at a time when a true desktop computer was the norm. This meant the keyboard had the builtin numpad, rather than using alphabet keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: