Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
zogalogran
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 pm   

old friend: the mysql server has gone away error

I have struggled with this one for a long time, and have not found a satisfactory answer.

I have a some of fairly simple scripts accessing a mysql db. The open a connection, perform select/insert/update operations, close the connection, and unvar the db variable.

If I continue using the scripts fairly regularly (every 10-15 minutes or thereabouts) I don't seem to have an issue. If I go longer than that without accessing the db, I invariable get the mysql server has gone away error. At that point I have to close cmud and reopen it, and everything works again.

This mysql error can happen for a number of reasons, but my understanding is the most common reason is that a connection has remained open for too long and timed out. I could address this by changing the timeout settings on the database, but it's a shared db server and I don't have access to those settings.

Regardless, when I call db.close() it should close the connection! Is this a bug in CMUD? Is there something else I need to do to make sure that the connection is properly terminated and re-established each time?

Heaps of blessings on anyone who can offer insight. This has been driving me mad.

**EDIT** I asked my host what the wait_timeout on the server was set to and it's currently >8hrs. There has to be something funky going on in the way CMUD is handling the connection.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:49 pm   

It's how all telnet clients and similar applications (I assume remote db connections qualify as similar) work. They ask for a connection and they leave it running. If it idles for too long, Windows will come along and snatch it away without notification.

In a browser setting, the connection is asked for, used to completion (for downloading the page), and then returned to the OS. If you navigate further into the site or go to a different site altogether, a brand new connection is asked for instead of reusing an old one.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm   

Thanks Matt. Think I can use the tick timer to ping the db every 5 minutes or so?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: