Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ditchhook
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm   

Beginning Trigger question.

Hi,

It seems my firewall or something is disconnecting me (with no warning or notice) from my mud after a short period. I'd like to set up an automatic trigger to send a save command to my MUD every five minutes.

#ALARM -5:00 {save}

I use the trigger window occasionally, but always to respond to something the server sends to zMUD. I don't know how/where to apply this command to zMUD, as it has no triggering text.

How do I add a command like that to zMUD?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 am   

You can do everything in the Settings Editor window, but if you want to write it all out (or if you had something to copy-paste from somewhere) you have two options.

1)the command line -- this is for really small stuff, around 1-5 lines or so.

2)the text editor (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER) -- this is essentially the command line blown up to the size of an entire window. It's designed for larger blocks of text and complicated scripts.

In all cases, you will find that the script parser is going to interfere with your code in unexpected ways so you will absolutely need to go into the Settings Editor, find the stuff you just imported, and verify it was created as you intended.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 am   

Well, I'm guessing it is one line. But by 'command line' do you mean the space where I send commands to the MUD? Because when I put the command (#ALARM -5:00 {save} ) there, I just get an error message from the MUD.

When I use CNTL-SHIFT-ENTER, a screen pops up, and I can paste to it, but using the save command opens up a splash screen asking me where I want it saved. I don't know where is appropriate so that the command acts indefineitely for my mud.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:14 am   

Sounds like you have parsing off. If the little computer icon directly to the right of the command line has a red X through it, click it to turn parsing back on (or press CTRL+R).
ditchhook
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm   

Thanks. That did the trick!
ditchhook
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 am   

My character has a parrot on his shoulder.

I figured out how to have the parrot periodically say something: I made a trigger with a pattern of "-5:00" and a value of the emote the parrot makes.

Next I wanted to add a couple more motions or gestures for my parrot, so I made two more triggers to go off at "-6:00" and "-9:00" but the subsequent triggers don't ever engage. Can someone help out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: